LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition Testing 1997 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Testing 1997 Trans Am

Alright so I'm driving my firebird to the gas station when it suddenly dies as I pull in. I turn the key and it starts back up no problem. After getting gas, I drive around and notice it's seems to be idling a little low. Once I get to the in-laws house it dies while in park. The car would not start at all after this. I checked the fuel pressure and it was good. I also checked the spark and there was none at the coil. Went to autozone and got the ICM tested and it passed.

So i proceeded to change the Optispark and that did not solve the issue. I went ahead and tested ICM wire conncetor and terminals A and D have about 12 volts as they should. But when I checked the white wire on AC mode of the voltmeter I had someone turn the key and received nothing. I researched that I'm suppose to get 1-4 volts as the engine cranks. I then checked the same A and D wires going to the ignition coil from the ICM and the green wire wasn't showing any voltage while the other one still had 12 volts. I'm not sure if this means anything? Perhaps a bad ICM?

But since I didn't get 1-4 volts on the white ICM wire i went and tested the Optipark harness. I probed terminal C and it checked out. Tested terminal D for continuity and read 5 volts at terminals A and B so I'm getting a signal from the ECM the end of the Opti harness

So my question is with these tests done is it safe to assume my Optispark was bad out of the package? Or does that green wire not having any signal to the ignition coil mean anything? And also my check gages light turned on but it's not displaying any codes on the basic scanner that I use. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I've never tested mine. Not sure of the values, but you can reference them here:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Your symptoms usually point to a bad ICM and/or coil. With an opti you'll usually have severe missing and/or a SES light for high/low res signal.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I've never tested mine. Not sure of the values, but you can reference them here:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Your symptoms usually point to a bad ICM and/or coil. With an opti you'll usually have severe missing and/or a SES light for high/low res signal.
I checked all the values and they were accurate. I re-tested the ignition control module connector and the OPTi spark harness. I’ve also tried using different coils and ignition control modulesBut still no go. I did also check the engine light again and received a code P 1351. Do you knowIf this code generally points to the camshaft sensor in the OPTi spark?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

On Shoebox's site:
P1351Ignition Control (IC) circuit high voltage (open circuit)
This is a different DTC than high or low resolution codes.

After a quick google:

https://www.troublecodes.net/p1codes/p1351/

I've never had any sort of ignition issues to reference other than opti rotor bullshit, so I can't do anything but supply links to possible explanations of what you're experiencing.