LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New gears are in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New gears are in!

Just got my car back with the 3:73 in it. I can definitely tell I'm lower in the back now but the car seems sluggish and it also is running hotter. I haven't adjusted the computer for the gear change or different size tires, will this have an affect on the way it feeds fuel and spark to the motor? And the only explanation I can come up with about it running hotter is that the motor is turning faster now at cruise speed, but it's not that much faster so I wouldn't think it would make it run 15-20 degrees hotter. Anybody got any suggestions? It's a '96 TA M6. Also, I'm not sure this dude has the gear setup right, I've got alot of whine and it seems kinda sloppy feeling with minor vibration at interstate speeds. Had the vibe prob not long after I bought the car and it turned out that the big nut on the yoke worked loose a lil bit.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it back. its not installed right unless its richmond gears. they tend to be noisy
Old 09-26-2004, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedluv
Just got my car back with the 3:73 in it. I can definitely tell I'm lower in the back now but the car seems sluggish and it also is running hotter. I haven't adjusted the computer for the gear change or different size tires, will this have an affect on the way it feeds fuel and spark to the motor? And the only explanation I can come up with about it running hotter is that the motor is turning faster now at cruise speed, but it's not that much faster so I wouldn't think it would make it run 15-20 degrees hotter. Anybody got any suggestions? It's a '96 TA M6. Also, I'm not sure this dude has the gear setup right, I've got alot of whine and it seems kinda sloppy feeling with minor vibration at interstate speeds. Had the vibe prob not long after I bought the car and it turned out that the big nut on the yoke worked loose a lil bit.
All the tune will do for your gear change is calibrate your speedo to true speed, should have no affect on spark/fuel table or temp whatsoever. Simple physics can account for a little higher temp when your spinning a constant higher rpm, like running an M6 fbody 70mph in 4th gear down I-10 , it WILL get a little warmer but not crazy HOTTER. Therefore I'd think whether your were an A4 or M6 with the Overdrive you'd be fine temp wise. Hard to say without seeing the car, what's been done, etc. A couple gear brands out there whine by design, but majority of them do not and I'd suspect the backlash (pinion depth) being incorrect.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is a richmond gear and I did expect a little bit of whine but it seems a lil much to me. And it just seems sloppy, like there's alot of slack from when you let off the gas and then get back on it plus the slight vibe at around 75mph and up on the interstate. As far as running hotter, must have been a fluke but it's cooling fine now. It ran about 15-20 degrees hotter than normal on the way home, around 185-190 degrees. Nothing major, it just never runs that hot at cruising speed.

One more thing, my clutch is chattering bad now unless I keep the rrr's up when taking off. How the hell would a gear change cause that?? It's had some chatter for a while (cheap *** stock clutch plus I need to tear it down and turn the flywheel) but never this bad. This is why I don't like people working on my stuff!! The only two things I can't do to a vehicle are rear gears and auto trans rebuild, sooo I am in the process of learning to set up a rearend so I won't have to let somebody else do it. Broke the gear in my truck last week so it will be my guinea pig! haha
Old 09-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Had the same problem with the gear whine and the thunk, just don't ask me how a wot 2-3 shift becomes a 2-1 shift stock pos shifter. Open up the rear cover, and look at the gears. Check the wear, and make sure there are no chips, etc, on the teeth. If it's the stock cover, make sure there's not an excessive amount of shavings on the magnet. Now, the fix for me was just to drop the driveshaft and tighten the pinion nut. Was a little loose, and allowed some play--giving me the whine on decel, and the thunk on imperfectly rev-matched shifts. Good luck man, that noise is annoying.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

i just installed mine (motive 3.73) and ended up using the stock shims which amounted to perfect backlash.....mine are totally silent with zero vibration/leaks.....i think these gears are quiter than the stock ones

my engine isnt running hotter at all
Old 09-27-2004, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedluv
It is a richmond gear and I did expect a little bit of whine but it seems a lil much to me. And it just seems sloppy, like there's alot of slack from when you let off the gas and then get back on it plus the slight vibe at around 75mph and up on the interstate. As far as running hotter, must have been a fluke but it's cooling fine now. It ran about 15-20 degrees hotter than normal on the way home, around 185-190 degrees. Nothing major, it just never runs that hot at cruising speed.

One more thing, my clutch is chattering bad now unless I keep the rrr's up when taking off. How the hell would a gear change cause that?? It's had some chatter for a while (cheap *** stock clutch plus I need to tear it down and turn the flywheel) but never this bad. This is why I don't like people working on my stuff!! The only two things I can't do to a vehicle are rear gears and auto trans rebuild, sooo I am in the process of learning to set up a rearend so I won't have to let somebody else do it. Broke the gear in my truck last week so it will be my guinea pig! haha
Man I'd definitely get it checked out or do it yourself, couldn't agree more about letting people work on my car, it doesn't happen, never has never will outside of machine work which I'm not equipped.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed today that even when sitting still the rearend end clunks when I put it in gear. I think he set it up with too much backlash, it's just entirely too sloppy. I'll check it out ASAP, gotta flush my brake system first.

ZMASTER, I had that same problem with mine the day I bought it, brand new. The pinion nut had come loose a lil bit causing a bad vibration at highway speeds when I let off the gas. Tightened it up and that took care of it. I wish that's all it would take to fix this problem.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tore into the rearend today, backlash is at .017. If I'm not mistaken the backlash should be close to .007. I don't have a manual handy right now, could somebody verify this?? I could feel the slop in it before I ever took the cover off. This dude needs to learn how to set up a gear!! I have another question, I bought a used Auburn pos unit from a guy and that's what I was gonna put in the car when I had these gears put in but come to find out it's f#cked up. Can't even get the pin out of it to get the axles in(I assume it's bent) plus the splines are different. I think he busted a gear on this unit and screwed it up bigtime. (Yes, I've learned my lesson about used parts too) The stock unit looks exactly the same as the Auburn except the springs look stouter, bigger, in the Auburn. Does anybody know if these cars came with an Auburn pos from the factory or did this dude rip me off bigtime? Even the patent numbers are the exact same on it. And, if the stocker is an Auburn can you swap the springs out?

Chad
Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok guess nobody knows.........
Old 10-03-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally got the rear back together and it is much better, no more slop and clunk. Still got a little whine but I was expecting that. Still got that vibration when I let off the gas at around 75 and above. Have no clue what it is, the yoke is plenty tight, a lil bit of play in the pinion but not enough to cause that. Any suggestions about the vibe?? By the way, I love these freakin gears as far as the "pick me up" in power it gave the car but I may buy me some "quieter" gears in the near future, what's the quietest gear out there right now?? It pulls fantastically in 4th now. Can't wait to get to the track friday and see what it does.