LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Solid Roller Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Roller Help

I'm looking for any info on problems with running a solid roller with LT1 heads. I have heard that the LT1 head is a cheap casting. A solid roller will beat up the heads because of the large spring pressure that is required. I know that there are many guys using solid rollers with LT1 heads. (NOT AFR or other aftermarket heads.) I'm looking to go with a solid roller but my engine builder is reading some bad things when it comes to them with LT1 heads.

Also have a compression question. Has anyone had problems running BIG compression with LT1 heads. I mean like 13.5 or bigger. I would like to go as big as 14.5 to 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28racerlt1
I'm looking for any info on problems with running a solid roller with LT1 heads. I have heard that the LT1 head is a cheap casting....
They are cheap for a reason. They can only be used on GEN II SBC, they don't even have 2.00 inch intake valves(1.94) and only 1.50 inch exhust, and they don not breath near as well as the LT4.

You will also need to fashion a new lifter retainer as the stock lifter retainer wil not work.

A solid roller will beat up the heads because of the large spring pressure that is required. I know that there are many guys using solid rollers with LT1 heads. (NOT AFR or other aftermarket heads.) I'm looking to go with a solid roller but my engine builder is reading some bad things when it comes to them with LT1 heads.
Don't know where you heard that about beating the heads up. They ran a Soild Cam in the 69' Z28's DZ 302 and it would got to 8,000RPM. I know they had Iron heads but trust me, those heads took a thrashing and still ran like dogs.

Also have a compression question. Has anyone had problems running BIG compression with LT1 heads. I mean like 13.5 or bigger. I would like to go as big as 14.5 to 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
If you ran this high in Compression you better run 114 Octane and be really close to the track, and be willing to pay 8$ a gallon. Also you will be going through head gaskets left and right, I would recomened some expensive Gaskets and 12- point ARP head studs, if you call summit or go to your parts store and tell them I want to run 14 to 1 on a LT1, I needs some head studs, its what they will give you.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Launching!

I appreciate the help but I am only talking about the LT1 casting. Cheap casting meaning GM designed the head as a "throw away". Meaning use it and get a new one. They don't had alot of meat on them. I know of all the requirement needed to run a solid roller(new lifters, springs, etc.) also with high compression. Just looking for info about LT1 heads and solid rollers and high compression.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-02-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It really just depends on how big of a solid you want to go. Given the LT1 head flow limitations your really not gonna get that big anyway and be productive. With any solid there will be routine maintenance so it's really not a matter can or can't it be done.

Get some head studs and some cometic gaskets and you'll be fine running the compression you want to run.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the help but I am only talking about the LT1 casting. Cheap casting meaning GM designed the head as a "throw away". Meaning use it and get a new one. They don't had alot of meat on them. I know of all the requirement needed to run a solid roller(new lifters, springs, etc.) also with high compression. Just looking for info about LT1 heads and solid rollers and high compression.
Ok it will make as much power as a solid lifter cam in any other Stock Headed High Comp SBC. About 400HP my guess

Quick Reply: Solid Roller Help