LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 removal, top or bottom???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thing is from the bottom, you can just about assembly the enitre motor and trans with the headers and intake intake. Then just hook up the electrical and coolant and away you go.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make this a poll...
Old 06-23-2006, 03:29 PM
8 Second Club

Holy old thread, Batman!!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
i dont see why people say your spoiled if you have a lift????????? mine is a little old but i got it for 200 and it works great. here is a pic of my lift , you can see the lift is a little beat(just neeeds new paint really).
$200 that’s awesome! Where from? How tall is the ceiling?

ToxicTA: You assembled everything (including trans, intake manifold, and headers, and dropped the body over it?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how r people without a lift getting the body to clear?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDB
how r people without a lift getting the body to clear?
Engine hoist chained to the frame, lift up and support car on tall jackstands.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Default top or bottm

All sounds good to take it out from the bottom but if your like me, you know the one that just has a driveway to do everything, I think our only choice is to take it out from the top. How the hell would we be able to take it out from the bottom in a driveway?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by icedragon642
All sounds good to take it out from the bottom but if your like me, you know the one that just has a driveway to do everything, I think our only choice is to take it out from the top. How the hell would we be able to take it out from the bottom in a driveway?
Obviously you've never done it before.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by icedragon642
How the hell would we be able to take it out from the bottom in a driveway?
Easy .. you lift the car up off the engine and Kmember

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...d/PB010214.jpg
Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have only ever done this once and I pulled it out the bottom. I did it by myself in my garage in one evening/night. As someone else stated, it was really nice to be able to fully assemble the intake and headers and everything from outside the car.

I have never done it from the top but I would imagine dealing with the engine mounts in the car would be a PIA! It was difficult enough to mount the engine back to the subframe OUT of the car.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be doing my engine swap in the next few weeks and me and some friends will probably pull the old engine out the top and put the new one in from the bottom. We're going to pull the intake, heads, headers, accys and bracket, radiator and engine harness since I'm replacing everything with new parts. Then we'll put the complete new engine, headers and trans on the tubular k frame with the tubular upper and lower a-arms,springs, shocks, sway bar etc and drop the body over it. For me it's easier to unbolt things with the engine in the car than it is to bolt them up and torque them correctly with the engine in the car.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

i have pulled one from the top and put it back in through the top. i have pulled 4 in and out from the bottom. i will always go out the bottom now. so much easier. i got my time down to about 45 minutes of removing in my old 96 formula
Old 04-09-2011, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

If you do it though the top, consider investing in a TPIS Happy Hooker.
It sure makes the job a lot easier.
http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/67

I wish I listened to the guy who suggested it to me 7 years ago.

Originally Posted by BIG_T
i have pulled one from the top and put it back in through the top. i have pulled 4 in and out from the bottom. i will always go out the bottom now. so much easier. i got my time down to about 45 minutes of removing in my old 96 formula
That is both Sad and Impressive T
Old 04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going to pull mine out the top today. And the reason why is I want to be able to push the car out of the way while I'm working on the engine. Can't see putting all the undercarriage back in, then pulling it apart again to put the engine back in. I have a gantry crane and my only decision is if I'm pulling the TH400 with the engine. Will a regular engine hoist clear the nose of a 95? Engine seems to be a bit back for mine.

I'm expecting to be down a few weeks, and we all know how that goes. Have other cars that want attention.

Al
Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

I just dropped the subframe this weekend and bolted a new for me LT1 and T56 to same and lowered it back on,...it was easy, I know, because last weekend I tried to drop in the same motor/trans thru the top,...it was a PITA,...I would have had to remove all the front accessories and the crank damper/pully, and reinstall them in the tight engine compartment,...
It was nice to have the motor,headers, accessories,belt,wires,trans all assembled out in the open.

I had to wrestle with the steering knuckles going back together but would do it that way again.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Easy .. you lift the car up off the engine and Kmember

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...d/PB010214.jpg
What a great picture!!! LT1 enthusiasm at its finest!!!

This thread just refuses to die...
Old 04-15-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Pulled mine out the top yesterday. If it wasn't for the nose of the car being so long it would have been just like any other car. I pulled the front off the motor, and the intake to pull the cam so all that stuff was already off. Used a gantry crane to lift it and just rolled it out. Today I lifted the front end and rolled the transmission out on the jack.

My biggest problem was getting the transmission bolts out. Long tube headers and they were very tight. Passenger side I unbolted the motor mount from the block, driver's side I just took the long bolt out. Wish I had a cheat sheet on how to get the electrical connectors apart. Big waste of time to figure them out.

Al 95 Z28
Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 AM
10 Second Club

ttttt for more information that hasn't been revealed in the last 7 years since this thread was started
Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Teching In

I think next time I will try to pull it from the top using the "Happy Hooker" I think that the bolts that hold the fuel rail on to the Happy Hooker look like they would just pull out of the intake with the weight of the engine, but a lot of guys have done it this way with no issues. Pulling it from the top I am sure would be faster and you wouldn't have to worry about the brake lines and bleeding them. Some pics of mine out the bottom.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tony-cbr-man
I think next time I will try to pull it from the top using the "Happy Hooker" I think that the bolts that hold the fuel rail on to the Happy Hooker look like they would just pull out of the intake with the weight of the engine, but a lot of guys have done it this way with no issues. Pulling it from the top I am sure would be faster and you wouldn't have to worry about the brake lines and bleeding them. Some pics of mine out the bottom.
I like that engine/transmission jack you built. I will have to copy that idea.

Quick Reply: LT1 removal, top or bottom???