LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pacesetter Headers on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter Headers on LT1

I was going to go with mac midlengths but looking at the pacesetters price and quality I think im oging to get the longtubes for my 97 Formula. I had one question, I was looking on TexasSpeed and saw that they have the LT's for the LT1 but i dont see the y pipe with cats? is that for LS1's only??? I'm goign to go catted Y because of the GMMG exhaust. Any suggestions? And also how hard was the install???
Old 01-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by needals1
I was going to go with mac midlengths but looking at the pacesetters price and quality I think im oging to get the longtubes for my 97 Formula. I had one question, I was looking on TexasSpeed and saw that they have the LT's for the LT1 but i dont see the y pipe with cats? is that for LS1's only??? I'm goign to go catted Y because of the GMMG exhaust. Any suggestions? And also how hard was the install???
You may have to buy a Y without and put a cat on there, I have never seen a catted version for our cars.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

I helped install a set on my buddies 96TA and it went very well. I also plan on installing a set on my 93 next spring. Plug access on these headers has to be one of the best I ever seen.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

I dont have a one cat system. It is a dual cat. I know that TSP makes one but i cant find it on their website any suggestions???
Old 01-03-2005, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Jet hot long tubes are the best.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

With the talk of these Pacesetters, I am starting to lean toward getting them instead of the Hooker LTs. Based on price alone, they seem to be the best bet.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

I did have a set of pacesetter shorties on the SS and had nothing but problems. Leak after leak, mostly from where the EGR tube hooks up to the header. No to mention LT are easier to install than the shorties or mids.
(in my opinion)

The pacesetter LTs are really good for the LS1 cars but I haven't heard good things about them for LT1s.

My 2 cents
Old 01-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

I've had mine since July, no problems, coating still looks good, and love the sound. About the y-pipe, I've heard of people having a single cat put in, but there might be clearance issues. As far as I know there is no y pipe with cats for LTs.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get a custom y-pipe fabbed up. It will cost roughly the same as one you buy from a dealer, and probably fit alot better. Get soem carsound cats off ebay and go to a muffler shop.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Random Technology makes a catted Y-pipe...not sure how good they are...and if they will work with Pacesetter LTs.....says it does for AS&M and TPIS LTs...single and dual cat LT1s....might give them a call.

Last edited by The LT1 That Could; 01-04-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

well its like this, i was going to have a local exhaust shop just fab me up a custom piece. He said he was going to charge me around 300 to do all the work. which is a really good price. I was stilll kinda hesitant about getting the longtubes because i had them on my mustang and they were nothign but a pain in the A$$!!!! I had to work on the tranny alot and they were always in the way. Just seeing the bottom side of the f bodies with them on I knew I would run into the same problems. Well i had been leaning toward Mac midlengths just because they make the same power as longtubes down low, but when you start getting higher in the RPM's the longtubes make more. Well since my car is mostly a street driven car I figured i would go with those. Well I called a friend who always gives me good deals and guess what, he had a brand spanking new set of polished ceramic coated mac midlengths witht he catted y pipe for a dual cat system that someone had returned. brand new headers, never installed and i dont even think they were taken out of the box. Supposedly the guy who ordered them wrecked his car and no longer had a use for them. Well can anyone guess how much I picked them up for.........500 dollars shipped to my door. I told him to ship them out and I should have them by the end of the week. So now i have a new question, should i get locking header bolts, new gaskets and replace my spark plugs while im doing the headers???
Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by needals1
So now i have a new question, should i get locking header bolts, new gaskets and replace my spark plugs while im doing the headers???
they should come with good grade 8 bolts & gakets, but you might want to upgrade and get some of the gaskets with the metal inserts in them to seal better and not burn up. Wouldnt hurt to change plugs, and its muc easier.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Headers on LT1