LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock and trickflow lt1 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Default Edelbrock and trickflow lt1 heads?

Has any one tried either head Yet? I know the Edelbrock sbc heads are pretty good with extra room for porting but is it worth teh money over ported lt1 casting heads.

The trickflow use 195 cc runners which are to big for a street/strip stock cube lt1 IMO.

These will be with a custom grind FMS cam (something like 233/241 - .600 lift give or take a little)

This will be in a 65 chevelle with a t 56 trans and 4.10 gears in rear.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard pretty good things about the Trickflows for the price, but not much on the Edelbrocks yet.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Edelbrock heads have gotten some bad publicity due to a test done by the "geniuses" at Popular Hot Rodding . Their F'd up test netted only 284 RWHP out of the Edelbrock heads and cam.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

what cc runners do most ported stock lt1 heads end up at? I was told to stay in the 170-175 cc runner size.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 195cc ports of the Trickflows should not be a problem, what would be a problem in the large for aluminum 64cc chamber hence Trickflows own recommendation of them for strokers/poweradders. The strokers because it will be relatively easy to retain compression with the larger displacement and the power adders because they can often benifit from a drop in compression. The Edelbrocks are more or less a joke even without the crappy testing. They claim a 76hp gain with the heads and their cam, and if you read the fine printaddition of 1.75" headers, the new combo would aslo require retuning and you know they didn't just throw one tune at it but did a full dyno tune(reasonable but should be mentioned) and I would bet the testing of the stock setup was on a stock tune. I call that WEAK, I have picked up just about that much in my car with a 10degree smaller cam untouched heads, mailorder 87 octane tune and still have stock manifolds, just headers would put me well over that mark not too mention what a dyno tune would do. Bet Edelbrock was smart enough to also test against the 95 and earlier lesser flowing heads too. When reading marketting statments on websites and that is basically what magazine articles are today also you have to look for how they are manipulating things and I guarantee you they are playing games maybe not lieing but selective release of information at the very least.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It still seems like these all these heads are not going to flow much better then a LT4 head in stock form. But the biggest benifit to these heads are that you have much more to work with for porting. So it still seems like your best bet is a set of fully ported LT1 heads vs stock afr's or stock edelbrocks.

But as stated before the Trickflows bigger combustion chambers cause you to drop compression. So the question is, is it worth the compression loss for the added head flow on a n/a motor? I can't tell you, because not many have ran these heads and have posted their results.

Run a search on cz28.com and you will see that http://www.advancedinduction.com/ flowed them and posted the results.

Mike
Old 01-28-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lt4s have a 190CC runner though. if i was you. id get the Lt1s ported since your staying stock cubed and NA. you can get very good results from the Lt1 heads if you let the right people touch them. Lloyd elliot, AI, FMS and others that i cant think of will do good work.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock and trickflow lt1 heads?