LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

transmission problems

Old 03-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

2 weekends ago I went to the track in my 97 A4 T/A. Bone stock drivetrain. My tranny started slipping on me before I got to the track. By the time I actually got there all I had was 1st and 2nd...So I hauled my car back and started pulling the bad tranny out, only to find out that the previous owner half assed the car an put a 93 4.3 liter S-10 tranny (or at least thats what was written on the bell housing?)

So I swap it for my freshly rebuilt 4L60E out of my parts car which I did drive every day of the week, before and after my wreck and it worked PERFECT...I think it only had 6k-7k on it and HAD a 1 year warentee.

When I put it in along with a brand new stall that does infact lock and unlock like it should, it keeps on throwing up a "code 84" which is 3-2 shift soleniod fault. So I assumed the 3-2 down shift soleniod was bad or gummed up from where the tranny set for about 4-5 months without being moved or started. New fluid/filter and brand new solenoid from a GM dealer and still the same ****! It starts out in 2nd and hits 3rd then the convert locks up (which is normal for 3rd gear) Even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor it will not kick down into 2nd unless you come to a complete dead stop.

My car has a 94 tranny that s matched to a 94 PCM that has been reprogramed with tuner C.A.T.S. by my buddy (who is really really smart with LT1 cars, minus this of course) My wiring harness is still the stock 97 wires though. The 97 tranny connecter has one extra pin on the top right hand section of the connecter and trhe94 tranny plug does not. Also to be added, when I reset or dissconnect the battery to clear the MIL code the car runs/shifts absoultly perfect until the fault code comes up again, which only takes a few miles or a few minutes, either one.

My main question to all of my rambling is would the extra wire that runs off of the extra pin on the connector be causing the fault code even though the 94 computer doesn't actually "know" that the extra wire connection is their?
What/who should I go about tracing down this problem? Would this be just simply adding a jumper wire from the PCM to the 3-2 shift soleniod connector ot see if its a ground or bad connection problem? I first thought it was a bad 3-2 soleniod to PCM wire connection, but in that case why whould it only work sometimes and just all of a sudden stop?

Any help is greatly appericated b/c this is absoultly kill in me!!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Is it tripping a P066 code? The 3-2 downshift solenoid is used to release the 3-4 clutches and apply the band....it is pulse-width modulated, using a duty cycle to adjust fluid pressure for a smooth apply. If there is a voltage problem to the solenoid, then it would trip the 066 code......

You have to get a connector view diagram and make sure that the wire that carries the pulse for the 3-2 solenoid is indeed connected to the appropriate pin at the transmission....

Last edited by N20LT4Bird; 03-31-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Any new news???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission problems