LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

home porting throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home porting throttle body

Does anyone have a link on how to do this, or know how to do it? I searched and found nothing about it. I want to do it because I am also port matching my intake to my heads and I wanted to do this to.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not a big ordeak really. Pull the throttle body off and then scribe or mark the outline of the t/b gasket...then go to town with a dremel.....do the intake too.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Teching In

what about the butterflies?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what about them?....they are much larger than the bores on the intake side of the t/b.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah it shouldnt be too hard. If you want to get really indepth I would suggest just buying a larger throttle body.

But for the do it yourselfer, this is an easy one.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're talking about porting the intake manifold, not the throttle body. I worked on just my stock throttle body one night a few weeks ago. Made my own air foil and smoothed out the ridges in front and behind the blades. I stayed about 1/8" away from the blades on each side. I didn't touch the intake manifold at all though. I dont think I gained anything noticable from it. Here's some pictures.

I think I read somewhere that the stock manifold will support up to 52mm without porting but, when you goto something like the 58mm you will need to. Just use the gasket that comes with to draw in the outline and then dremel it to the right size. With the TB, I had the best luck with the sanding disks vs. the metal grinding/shaving tool. The metal burr tool tended to 'grab' and hop around alot where the sanding disks were easier to control and made a smoother surface. After I got the ridges eliminated in front and behind the blades I smoothed it all out with various fine grit sand paper for a very smooth finish. Here's a link to Brent Frankers website explaining how to home port your intake manifold for a 58mm TB.

Installing Holley 58mm TB & porting intake while still on the car

Hope all this helps.

Quick Reply: home porting throttle body