LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

looking for info on the ACCEl DFI system

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for info on the ACCEl DFI system

im sick of my opti all together, and honestly i want more tuning capabilities for my car (plus i believe my stock pcm has been flashed too many times and its not holding its tune).. i was looking into options and came across this accel dfi setup.. now my question is how streetable is this setup? also, i still have stock shortblock and cam, is it even worth it for me? i will soon be doing a forged 355 with ported stock heads and a cam. i just want to see if this is practical for me

also what are the prices for the setup?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:46 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula69
im sick of my opti all together, and honestly i want more tuning capabilities for my car (plus i believe my stock pcm has been flashed too many times and its not holding its tune).. i was looking into options and came across this accel dfi setup.. now my question is how streetable is this setup? also, i still have stock shortblock and cam, is it even worth it for me? i will soon be doing a forged 355 with ported stock heads and a cam. i just want to see if this is practical for me

also what are the prices for the setup?
First, there is no way your stock PCM is "not holding it's tune". Don't know where that kind of stuff comes from. If you want to use DFI, you probably need to contact Joe Overton. Btw, Joe still uses a stock opti. Most Optispark problems are self induced at installation time.
Try: http://www.lethalefi.com/

Good luck, Ed
Old 04-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Launching!

my next tax return i am thinkin about switching to accel dfi setup with a dual sync dist on my lt1 in my sonoma not 100% on that yet but would love to do it and its cheaper than a fast setup.

ed i thought joe o was runnin a crank trigger setup maybe i was wrong
once a year im allowed to be wrong i guess.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really don't think your setup justifies DFI, FAST, MoTeC, etc.....spend that money elsewhere as you can get all the tuning you need through Tunercat.

As Ed said...most Opti failures are human error whether it be from introduction of water, cam dowel length issues on cam installs, etc. If anything go with a coil on plug or waste spark setup like LTCC or Delteq...I have Delteq and love it and while it doesn't eliminate the optical wheel or sensor (yet), I won't have to worry about any cap or rotor issues with a nearly 90K and a 9 year old opti. As a note....at the time of Delteq install I had been through two cam swaps and three years of consistent visits to the track and it was running great.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:51 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by monster7
my next tax return i am thinkin about switching to accel dfi setup with a dual sync dist on my lt1 in my sonoma not 100% on that yet but would love to do it and its cheaper than a fast setup.

ed i thought joe o was runnin a crank trigger setup maybe i was wrong
once a year im allowed to be wrong i guess.
I believe he is, most do with DFI, F.A.S.T., etc. The stuff about them "blowing up", is most always installation error. Last I heard Joe was still using the Opit cap & rotor, the parts that "blow up". I have friends running LT1 NHRA Stock Eliminator cars, and they still use the Opti to distribute the spark. Most of them use the Holley ecu & crank trigger. I would use the F.A.S.T. system myself.

Take care, Ed
Old 04-22-2005, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I believe he is, most do with DFI, F.A.S.T., etc. The stuff about them "blowing up", is most always installation error. Last I heard Joe was still using the Opit cap & rotor, the parts that "blow up". I have friends running LT1 NHRA Stock Eliminator cars, and they still use the Opti to distribute the spark. Most of them use the Holley ecu & crank trigger. I would use the F.A.S.T. system myself.

Take care, Ed

I still use the factory 94' opti (no crank trigger) with the gen7+ system...and I would use the gen7 ofcourse ...
Old 04-22-2005, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

I had a tech friend of mine that works for a chevrolet dealership tell me to just seal around the cap on the opti with black rtv why does no one do this?

Quick Reply: looking for info on the ACCEl DFI system