LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Delete

Was taking out my A/C and was wondering if the heater was run through the evaporator coil along the firewall. I wanna delete the A/C but keep the heater. Couldn't really find any info in my Chilton manual.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have removed my AC and neither are really related, if I recall correctly.

I removed the condensor, the bottle thingy on the passnager side, compressor and all the lines. The lines going to the metering block has nothing to do with HEAT functions, but near there are the hoses that go the the heater core, those are part of the coolant system and will not be affected.

Just remember to get a 1LE A/C delete pully and a serp belt that will fit just right, my stock length one was not close to what I needed. But I may be the exception
Old 05-30-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I just did this as well and the heat and A/C are two seperate things. You wont cause a problem with the heat by deleting the A/C.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I ain't forgot the pulley. I was just wondering about the evaporator coil cuz I've seen a few A/C deletes at shows and stuff and the coil was still in there. Also seen some all out drag cars with everything gone, which sort of gave me the impression they were all tied together. Thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

regarding A/C delete, how would I remove it as to not have **** blow up in my face? I know the whole system is under pressure, guide me through this...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

There's a bleed valve on one of the top lines. You're required by law to have a technician hook a can up to that thing and evacuate the system. I on the other hand just opened it and let that **** fly into the air.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dhdenney
There's a bleed valve on one of the top lines. You're required by law to have a technician hook a can up to that thing and evacuate the system. I on the other hand just opened it and let that **** fly into the air.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad Idea to do, even worse idea to say you did on a public forum.

Have a shop recover the freon.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

correct me if im wrong but cant you jsut bypass it with a shorter serpentine..ive heard bypassing that and powersteering frees up ponies..=free mod= saw it in an hiperf ls1 builders book..
Old 06-02-2005, 05:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but the alternater is on the top how would you bypass the a/c and powerstering and somehow get it to the alternater
Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Bad Idea to do, even worse idea to say you did on a public forum.

Have a shop recover the freon.

Aww, I did that like 3 years ago. If someone sees this, hunts me down, and fines me then it's a slow day for law enforcement. Either that or the EPA got a big budget increase this year. It was 134a anyhow, ain't gonna hurt nothing. R12 is what you have to worry about.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1970judge
correct me if im wrong but cant you jsut bypass it with a shorter serpentine..ive heard bypassing that and powersteering frees up ponies..=free mod= saw it in an hiperf ls1 builders book..
I briefly thought about all that but bypassing the A/C by itself would turn the PS pump backwards and that's not good. So you would have to bypass the PS pump also but imagine driving that thing with no belt UNLESS you had a belt for stock operation and a short for track. However RyneZ06 makes a good point about the alternator. I guess you would have to put the alternator down where the A/C compressor was so you could get some the belt around the tensioner and around the alt pulley. Probably would be best to get the manual steering rack if you were to do this so you could throw the PS pump out. However it's like $700 so not worth 6-8 ponies IMHO.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Aww, I did that like 3 years ago. If someone sees this, hunts me down, and fines me then it's a slow day for law enforcement. Either that or the EPA got a big budget increase this year. It was 134a anyhow, ain't gonna hurt nothing. R12 is what you have to worry about.

Thats not true. If I got caught letting out 134a, R12, R22 or any other I would have my EPA recovery cert revoked. Just because 134 is Ozone "friendly" doesn't mean that you can let it out.It's still harmfull. in fact, they are working on replacing 134 with yet a better freon. the 2 pounds you let out might not seem like a bid deal. but when 10,000 people do the same thats a lot of freon in the air
Old 06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was under the impression there was a special belt you bought and brackets etc to accomodate for teh switchign around..
Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1970judge
i was under the impression there was a special belt you bought and brackets etc to accomodate for teh switchign around..
There are kits to move the alt to where the AC compressor is. I happen to like my AC
Old 06-03-2005, 03:07 AM
11 Second Club

Who has the kits to place the Alt in place of the A/C compressor? I've seen and contacted Jon Addis but he doesn't do them anymore. Who actually has some that are available for sale?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Default pulley power

don't waist your money on all that alternator relocation stuff. i am sure that it would cost more than the $70 the dealer will charge you for the 1LE option a/c Delete pulley. I think the AC Delco PT# is 10115875.
since we're talking about pulleys and gaining HP. An underdrive pulley kit would help gain some power too. i would suggest getting a good one the will include a new dampener too. i used a cheep MAC one that requires you having to bolt the stock one back one too. It looks a little Hokie but i have not noticed and problems from it. i would also suggest an under drive kit that comes with an alternator pulley as well. with just the crank pulley the needle on your volt meter will dip into the red when idling with any little load on the system. mine will even dance with the blinker at a stop light.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh, i disconnected a hose on my A/C because i was taking it off.... yea i feel stupid because i didnt realize it was underpressure.... yea... was pretty bad **** went everywhere and the line flew againest the wall
Old 06-04-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Thats not true. If I got caught letting out 134a, R12, R22 or any other I would have my EPA recovery cert revoked. Just because 134 is Ozone "friendly" doesn't mean that you can let it out.It's still harmfull. in fact, they are working on replacing 134 with yet a better freon. the 2 pounds you let out might not seem like a bid deal. but when 10,000 people do the same thats a lot of freon in the air

That's true but I don't have a certification. Where I live, restrictions are pretty lenient. Where you live, I would think twice about it. Besides, the ol' car couldn't pass emissions anyway. I'm probably doing more ozone damage with my exhaust than my one time freon splooge.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true...i let mine go, my friends go, and my other friends go. I just unbolted the hard line and whoosh....all was gone...it made for a good show too

Quick Reply: A/C Delete