LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Which aftermarket catback sounds nicest?
GMMG
20.74%
Borla
18.28%
Flowmaster
8.81%
Loudmouth
14.38%
2OTL
3.79%
Hooker
10.81%
Magnaflow
12.15%
Corsa
6.91%
Mufflex
4.12%
Voters: 897. You may not vote on this poll

Best Sounding Catback

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett95z
GMMG is too quiet? Compared to hooker? Uhhh, ok.
That's what I was thinking. Since when is hooker louder than GMMG ?

Tom
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MA1384
I really couldn't car any less about the flow issues, people dont realize that a better flowing cat-back would only be good for another 5rwhp or so. I'm not that picky.

That's the point that I urge to people. On bolt-on cars, Flowmaster will not rob you of all that much power. However, on more modified setups it does start to sap some power. But on bolt-on cars it's a good catback. I would consider running one on my next car if they were stianless steel.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy a catback for the sound, not the peformance. If your that **** over your 5hp difference, get a cutout.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vendetta
That's the point that I urge to people. On bolt-on cars, Flowmaster will not rob you of all that much power. However, on more modified setups it does start to sap some power. But on bolt-on cars it's a good catback. I would consider running one on my next car if they were stianless steel.

I agree, for a more modified setup that you would want to get the most out of then I wouldnt go with a flowmaster. But for most less extreme setups, the only way you would know the difference is if you strapped it to a dyno.

It is too bad they dont make a stainless steel version of the american thunder cat-back.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Buy a catback for the sound, not the peformance. If your that **** over your 5hp difference, get a cutout.

Exactly.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6T/A98
Do any of you guys find GMMG sounds simular to Borla on LS1's?
Absolutely not IMO...Being as how I've had both set-ups on my two LS1's, I don't even think they sound close, LOL. OK, maybe a little similar in the lower rpm range, but when you start to rev up the motor past 3 grand, that is where the GMMG really distinguishes itself from a Borla or just about any other set-up on the LS1. The GMMG is incredibly deep and refined all the way up to redline whereas the Borla gets high-pitched and kinda raspy sounding at full throttle. My GMMG + Kooks longtubes w/ highflow cats is the BEST sounding stock internal LS1 I've ever heard (even over true dual set-ups). Even sounds better to me than quite a few LT1's I've heard. I would not run any other system on an LS1. Period.

As for the LT1, just about anything sounds great on it...Definitely easier to make an LT1 sound "good" than an LS1 in most cases...I also just threw a cutout on my stock internal LT1 and damn, is that a ferociously MEAN sound (very raw, yet very deep). Pretty darn LOUD too (at any rpm)! BTW, I only opened the cutout because of how freakin' quiet the Flowmaster cat-back was...Nice deep tone, but silent at idle and not much louder on acceleration. But luckily I already know it will wake up considerably without a cat and when the Hotcam goes in. Then this way I'll have the best of both worlds (deep/mean/refined, but not too loud tone threw the Flowmaster & and ridiculously loud sound of open exhaust threw the cutout).

Mike

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 06-25-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

Personally i liked my loudmouth and so did everyone else...untill i got my longtubes with no cats...YIKES!!!! i think it's time for true duals
Old 06-25-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's the point

Originally Posted by 12secondDream
Personally i liked my loudmouth and so did everyone else...untill i got my longtubes with no cats...YIKES!!!! i think it's time for true duals
what do you think of the difference between GMMG and Loudmouth in sounding??
Old 06-25-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fahad
That's the point

what do you think of the difference between GMMG and Loudmouth in sounding??
Loudmouth - ***
GMMG - Awesome
Old 06-25-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Loudmouth - ***
GMMG - Awesome
I concur .

Tom
Old 06-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Teching In

i have been debating on what system to buy and i found that corsa or GMMG and even mufflex 4'' sound awesome... to bad they all cost $600+

with LT-1's it is a case of you get what you paid for in sound
Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another GMMG vote here. Nothing compares to the sound! Just got mine on the other night. Rare WS6, if you want to meet up, I'll let you hear my GMMG since you're close by
Old 06-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Teching In

well there are not many of us but i love the 2onl. its quiet inside the car but loud outside. i will have to see if that stays the same after hooker longtubes and full 3" exhaust goes on with the 2onl.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:30 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd have to say the 2otl sounds hella good also. I had a friend w/ a SS that took my old topend LT4 stuff and put in his car w/ the hot cam. It sounded better in his car then in mine w/ the borla. Made me sick after that. LOL!

The GMMG sounds nice on LT1's as well esp 396's. I just installed it this past wkend and it definetly is deep and throaty old school style. Sounds better w/ cats IMO but I keep clogging mine up so I have to go OR pipes for now. The borla on my 396 sounded pretty good too but I think the GMMG takes the nod and will only sound better over time as I hear from others after a few hundred miles there unbelievable.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRZ
I'd have to say the 2otl sounds hella good also. I had a friend w/ a SS that took my old topend LT4 stuff and put in his car w/ the hot cam. It sounded better in his car then in mine w/ the borla. Made me sick after that. LOL!

The GMMG sounds nice on LT1's as well esp 396's. I just installed it this past wkend and it definetly is deep and throaty old school style. Sounds better w/ cats IMO but I keep clogging mine up so I have to go OR pipes for now. The borla on my 396 sounded pretty good too but I think the GMMG takes the nod and will only sound better over time as I hear from others after a few hundred miles there unbelievable.
Can't wait to get mine!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

I'll try to get a sound clip of my magnaflow with LTs and no cat. I'm absolutely in love with the sound. Magnaflow IS quieter with the 'ol cat on there, but take it off and you've unleashed the beast.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

I have 2 Z's a 95 and a 97 both with the same pacesetter LT's with there ory the 95 has the magnaflow and the 97 has the LM, The magnaflow sounded like *** all it did was pop pop pop upon decel and sounded raspy as hell but was louder at idle and had that deep tone that it seems everyone wants i actually couldn't believe that i drove it around liking the sound of that pop pop pop and rasp.... the 97 with the Lm sounded fine to me it didn't have a deep tone but sounded clean @ idle and there was no pop pop pop upon decel, but it does get raspy expecially when im crusing in 5th and get on it without down shifting but i think my header leak adds to the odd sound i get while accelerating. but i seem to get more of the mustang crowd & older guys telling me my car sounds bad *** with the LM and long tubes compared to the magnaflow and long tubes... i think if i added some high flow cats to my y-pipe the lm would lose the rasp and gain that deep sound back that it had as just a cat back.. all exhaust will have a rasp as long as there is no cats and i think the magnaflow has the worst rasp expecially when you remove the cat.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my buddy had a flowmaster, sounded AWSOME with manifolds, then we did !Cats, and hooker long tubes, hol-ee ***! sounded raspy as hell... hooker catback fixed that
Old 07-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I can only compare the Borla and GMMG. I had the Borla system on my Firebird for 8 years and decided it was time for a new look and new sound, so I installed a GMMG today......that was one of the costliest mistakes I've made in a while The Borla has a nice deep mellow sound and roars at WOT vs. the GMMG's loud obnoxious blat blat blat at WOT and cackle cackle on deceleration. The only time the GMMG sounds good is at idle.

My vote is for Borla.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:50 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I TOO had the borla for 8 yrs. I hope to not encounter that because if I do I'll be upset too. But look at it this way. You can get damn near all your back for selling a GMMG. You'll never have a problem getting a buyer for it.

Are you running cats?

Quick Reply: Best Sounding Catback