LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Noisy Valvetrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Valvetrain

Is it normal for the LT1 valvetrain to be noisy after a cam install?

I installed an LT4 hot cam, new timing gears and chain and stiffer valve springs.
Can't remember the exact specs on the valve springs but my LT1 has iron heads and I got the springs from Conbination motorsports. The rockers are stock 1.5:1 ratio.

When I installed the new stuff I set the lash at 0 and then went 1/4 turn. Haven't reset them since I got it running so maybe I just need to do that but it runs great, just seems to have a lot of valvetrain noise for hydraulic lifters.

Any advice???

ZcarGuy
Old 07-03-2005, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how much "noise" are you talking? like you hear it when you listen to the valve covers, or you hear it with hood open, or you hear it sitting in the car?

I would say if you had roller rockers, and a quiet exhaust you should just be able to hear it with hood open, but seeing as you didnt say anything about rockers im not sure if you should hear much at all. but hey, just re-adjust the valves, and if they still have a litltle tick oh well, if i gets worse you know somethings up.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

If it's real noisy, I'd adjust the valves again. Back them off till they clack then tighten them to they stop and go a 1/4-half turn is how I've done it for years, never fails. Other than that you might get a little valvetrain noise with the added lift. Enjoy your new cam
Old 07-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Teching In

might wanna get a LT4 knock module as well
Old 07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just tuned my knock retard out with Lt1 edit, you can also desensitize it with lt1 edit if you want to keep it.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

I don't have roller rockers and can only hear the ticking with the hood open and standing right next to the engine bay. It isn't very loud in other words, I have just never experienced that much from a hydraulic valve train. I'm not really worried about it just curious and I will adjust them with the enigne running sometime in the near future.

Where can I get those caps you put on the rockers to keep oil from spraying everywhere?

ZcarGuy
Old 07-03-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a junk valve cover, and cut a "window" out of the middle, it will keep the oil from spraying all the %#@$ over when you adjust the valves, or do like I do and adjust it with the motor off.

Quick Reply: Noisy Valvetrain