LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Multi spark Ignitions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005 | 01:10 PM
Teching In

Default Multi spark Ignitions

I have a question. I have a 96 LT1 Vette, and I contacted Mallory about their Hyfire 6 Ignitions, and which harness adapter I needed. The Tech at Mallory told me that I shouldn't install the Hyfire, because the computer will detect the greater spark, and retard the timing as well as adjust the AFR, ultimately knocking down my MPG, and I will not see any performance gain. I have installed Ingitions in previous cars and have always been happy, but this is the 1st time I've ever heard of one hurting performance. Does this soung right?

Greg
Old 08-28-2005 | 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

not really. unless there is abnormal combustion, which a multiple spark ignition won't cause(in itself), the computer doesn't care what happens after it commands the coil OFF as long as all 8 cylinders are doing the same thing and not flagging a misfire.
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:47 PM
Teching In

The only thing I've heard of the multisparks hurting is the Opti. It'll burn the cap/rotor up sooner since there will be high voltage flowing more frequently.

The adapter you need is the MSD 8877, that's the one I got for my Hyfire 6. It will work, but the wire colors are different. If you look at the drawings, you can figure it out.
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are there any gains from a multispark setup?

Quick Reply: Multi spark Ignitions