LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

couple exhaust questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple exhaust questions..

ok im currently running a mufflex exhaust (4 inch pipe from y pipe to muffler..) it sounds AWESOME!! my lil delema is i want to take off my two high flow cats that i have built custom into the y pipe.. no my car doesnt make that much power right now (right around 300 hp) and im wondering if i took the cats off and left this exhaust set up on do you think it will flow too well? i took my muffler off once and ran the car and it seemed to run like a DOG! i know these things need backpressure but will taking the cats off with this big of an exhaust mid section cause the car to run worse? id love to keep this exhaust on but for tuning/ future high compression heads/cam+ race gas, i really dont want the cats.. let me know what you think.. im either gonna keep this exhaust on and hope for the best, or take the kit off and put a bullet race muffler/dump off the y pipe.. maybe with a couple feet of mid pipe in between..
Old 08-28-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

probably wont hurt anything. depending on primary tube diameter, it may loose some torque on the low side of the RPM band. it won't hurt to try though.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a couple of pics of my exhaust. I run the 4 inch Mufflex system. My Y pipe is custom with dual 3 inch cutouts. You'll be fine with a custon Y pipe minus the cats. You'll need O2 sims for the rear though.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...67_36_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...67_35_full.jpg

Quick Reply: couple exhaust questions..