Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a new cam

My current setup:
Combination Motorsports Stage II heads
Comp XE 224/230, Pro magnum 1.6 RRs
Hooker LT's, Mufflex Y, Hooker catback
Assorted bolt-ons

Car put down 366 rwhp with this setup through a T56 and stock injectors. Should be good for 375 now that I have 30# in.

On the track, I ran a 12.9 @ 111 with a 1.9 60', on a borrowed set of old Nitto's (I drive like an old lady ). It's a safe bet that with more practice I can trap 115 and get that ET down to the low 12's.

I think I'm interested in going for a new cam. The 224/230 has been great and is as streetable as stock, but I'd like to have a little more power. My Z is a weekend-only car so I'm not super-concerned about a loss in streetability.

I'm considering a few different cams:
--Ultradyne (now owned by Lunati) 230/238, .565/.565 112 LSA (known to put down 410 rwhp)
--The Thunder Racing mystery grind
--GM 847

My car is not a straight-up drag car, so I do want to have some low-end torque. The Thunder Racing cam seems like a good choice since the torque curve is so flat. Plus, the shift point looks like it's at about 6500... So it makes more torque and more power than my current cam without any more revving. I realize that the car they dyno'ed with had AFR LT4s... but even if my ported stock heads only netted me 420 rwhp on that same cam, I'd say that's still a great jump from the 366 I'm putting down now.

Any thoughts or other recommendations? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can only speak for the 847, but my car's driveablity insn't bad considering its untuned, and it pulls right to 6200. I sure it will pull higher, but Im kinnda taking it easy. Havn't got any real #'s yet, but on the street it feels real good.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by trax
My current setup:
Combination Motorsports Stage II heads
Comp XE 224/230, Pro magnum 1.6 RRs
Hooker LT's, Mufflex Y, Hooker catback
Assorted bolt-ons

Car put down 366 rwhp with this setup through a T56 and stock injectors. Should be good for 375 now that I have 30# in.

On the track, I ran a 12.9 @ 111 with a 1.9 60', on a borrowed set of old Nitto's (I drive like an old lady ). It's a safe bet that with more practice I can trap 115 and get that ET down to the low 12's.

I think I'm interested in going for a new cam. The 224/230 has been great and is as streetable as stock, but I'd like to have a little more power. My Z is a weekend-only car so I'm not super-concerned about a loss in streetability.

I'm considering a few different cams:
--Ultradyne (now owned by Lunati) 230/238, .565/.565 112 LSA (known to put down 410 rwhp)
--The Thunder Racing mystery grind
--GM 847

My car is not a straight-up drag car, so I do want to have some low-end torque. The Thunder Racing cam seems like a good choice since the torque curve is so flat. Plus, the shift point looks like it's at about 6500... So it makes more torque and more power than my current cam without any more revving. I realize that the car they dyno'ed with had AFR LT4s... but even if my ported stock heads only netted me 420 rwhp on that same cam, I'd say that's still a great jump from the 366 I'm putting down now.

Any thoughts or other recommendations? Thanks!
I can grind you a custom cam for your car, I would just need the flow sheets, intake type, C/R, and header type we can grind cam just for your combination. Shoot me an e-mail, pm or give me a call 512-257-0222 be happy to help. If you'd rather go with a shelf cam I can help you decide on which one.
Ask for Harold
Old 11-23-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with the Thunder Racing cam personally, or a custom one from one of the sponsors or something. As you said the Thunder Racing cam is very street/strip with the flat torque curve. But I know a lot of people run a GM 847 with a lot of sucesss and there are always the Lunati enthusiasts. My vote is for the Thunder Racing though.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new cam