LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 cam kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"Baby" doesn't mean slow though there are some b-bodies and f-bodies with cams smaller yet than the HOT cam going FAST.

At this point I am looking at going over 220 on the intake based on a head porters recommendation I am going to give it a shot but I still think people are too quick to dismiss the "smaller" cams even after seeing what guys are accomplishing with them. My car is drifting further away from daily driver the little cam mild stall and mild gears in it made it a great daily driver mild enough for the wife to take family shopping and to pickup Grandma yet run low 13s at 4300lbs with a little more left in it if I could get some track time. This cam only would run well into the 12s in an f-body yet is 10 degrees smaller on the intake and I ran that with 1.5 rockers for .474/.510 lift even the iron heads I have could benifit from a little more lift.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sticking with my guns on this one. The Hot Cam was a decent DD cam 3-4 years ago. But with the variety of cams offered by Comp Cams and the package deals offered by the likes of LE and AI, it is obsolete by comparison. If I could have done things different a few years back I would not have went with the hot cam.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The hot cam is a great cam compared to the stocker, but not great compared to other aftermarket offers. It's not exceptionally cheap, it still requires all the parts other cam swaps do (springs, retainers, locks, etc), and you should get a tune for that 112 LSA. FWIW I have had experience with a well tuned comp cams 306, old technology, ramp rates etc, but still makes great power with the appropriate stall, gear setup. The car ran well and still had decent street manners. IMO the hot cam should be a cam for people not willing to compromise on streetability, want a little lope, and a noticeable power increase. The cam won't hang with the other out-dated off the shelf grinds, and especially the new age grinds coming out. That said, if extensive modding isn't in your future, go hotcam. It'll be a pleasant surprise. Also, I have seen a LT4 conversion, with full bolt ons, a dyno tune, m6 and 10bolt pull 390rwhp which is very high for that setup.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned

so true man dont buy it gat a cc306 and some good dual springs
Old 11-26-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
I'm sticking with my guns on this one. The Hot Cam was a decent DD cam 3-4 years ago. But with the variety of cams offered by Comp Cams and the package deals offered by the likes of LE and AI, it is obsolete by comparison. If I could have done things different a few years back I would not have went with the hot cam.

stick to whatever u want. i have EXPERIENCE with it also along with many other cams. i only got it because of the insane deal i got for it, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should bash it. it's too small of a cam for me, but that doesn't mean i can't be realistic about it. the car i got it out of was a 355 going 11.7s at full weight.

in his other thread where he asked about his proposed setup, i suggest a few other cams that would be extremely streetable, but are bigger. that doesn't mean that the hotcam is obselete or a bad cam. the price is what grabs most people and somebody that can't afford to get a big boy cam usually isn't somebody that could either afford it or really needs/wants them anyway. i always give different advice in the cam threads instead of spouting of the few popular ones, because every person's situation is different. maybe the hotcam is the best cam for their situation.

i'm sorry to the guy who had a shitty dyno with his hotcam but that is not the norm. both the hotcam and cc305 are designed to make their torque very quickly and WILL make a good bit more than stock. maybe you hit the rollers on a shitty day.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheater
so true man dont buy it gat a cc306 and some good dual springs
the true 'groupie' that knows nothing of his own car but likes to tell other people how to build yours would tell you that a mono blade throttle body, cc306 cam, and the most expensive stainless header you can buy would be the best setup. 1/2 the advice you get off this site has to be taken with a grain of salt. I lke the Hot Cam, mostly because it came with roller rockers and new springs to refresh the old stock ones. If you are wanting a powerful cam for the strip, I agree that you shouldnt put the hot cam in. If its a car you drive in excess of 50 miles a day 5 days a week and you worry about gas mileage and engine longivety, go with the hot cam like I did.

you might be able to get a comp cam with the springs it requires for the same price as a hot cam kit (under $500 from SDPC), but it wont come with locks, shims, and retainers for the springs and also you'll still have the crap 1.5 stamped rocker arms. before my bottom end gave out I had got a price quote from L.E. for a stage 1 set of heads (no cam) = $800.

Last edited by Bandit 1; 11-26-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running the hotcam and I like it a lot, but I had intentions off getting a cc306 before I was forced to rebuild my motor. From lack of cash when my motor got shavings and started knocking, I purchased the hotcam. Not bad at all and I daily drive it.

http://www.lt1engine.com/soundlib/51...hotcamcold.mpg
Old 11-26-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

some people say the hotcam isn't worth it the average numbers i have seen with untouched factory heads with headers is in the 330-350 range that seems pretty good to me im putting down 270 at the wheels nearly stock and if i could jump up to 350 with the hotcam headers and a tune i would be happy as hell 80 horse at the rear wheels is quite a nice improvement it comes out to be about a 30% improvement i would think that is worthwhile
Old 11-26-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you won't see 350. if i was you i'd be happy with 330 with the mods you said.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I peaked out at 326. This is on STOCK tuning and through STOCK manifolds. I'm optimistic that w/ tuning and headers it shouldn't be a problem hitting 350 or so.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Teching In

The HotCam kit is overrated and not worth the money. I have EXPERIENCE with the cam and know what a turd it is. Before wasting money on such a **** poor cam, I would suggest talking with someone Like Lloyd Elliot or AI about one of their H/C packages.
Hey dumbass...maybe he doesnt have the money to drop on a good h/c combo???? Ever thought about that? And a Hotcam is a very good starter cam, good way to break yourself into the cam world. Oh and by the way you say the hotcam is a waste of money...then maybe you just stay out of this conversation and go look for a h/c package
Old 11-26-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and maybe you should stfu yourself. the hotcam, while decent for dd and mild (very mild) applications is still a decent cam, as previously stated by myself and others, there are other grinds available with the same driveability and make more power etc, just not as well known about. don't be so quick to judge, sure a cam meant for a h/c setup won't be as well suited to a cam only car, but comp. crane. crower, hell even gm have better dd cams than the ubiquitous hot cam. it's very popular and a good deal, but it's not THE END ALL BE ALL of daily driver (DD) cams. just my .02.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jordan57
it's not THE END ALL BE ALL of daily driver (DD) cams. just my .02.
I don't think anyone said that.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

i can put an end to all the fighting....i didnt want to make a thread where everyone on the forum starts fights...everyone made their good points supporting which cam they think is the best and i think all the ones that have been mentioned seem to be very nice and have its good things and bad and im going to buy the hotcam kit....thanks for all your replies it helped wiht the decision
Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Teching In

I had the lt4 hot cam in my car for year or so and I was happy with it. All I have done to the car is Hooker LT, 3500 stall, milded tune, and MT drag RT.

12.61@109
1.72 60ft

The lt4 hot cam sounds good.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black97z28
Hey dumbass...maybe he doesnt have the money to drop on a good h/c combo???? Ever thought about that? And a Hotcam is a very good starter cam, good way to break yourself into the cam world. Oh and by the way you say the hotcam is a waste of money...then maybe you just stay out of this conversation and go look for a h/c package

Listen you stupid ******* newb. An LE1 H/C cost $1100. Yet you think its OK to waste time and money putting in $500 for a yesteryear cam like the Hot Cam. Whether you realize it or not fucktard, he is going to have to change the springs, rockers, lifters, etc..NOT something easy to do from someone who has never done it before. He asked for advice and I gave it asswipe.

Now go back and play with your Tinker Toys and Barbie dolls...the MEN are haveing a discussion here.

Last edited by METALBEAST; 11-27-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCamLT1
I had the lt4 hot cam in my car for year or so and I was happy with it. All I have done to the car is Hooker LT, 3500 stall, milded tune, and MT drag RT.

12.61@109
1.72 60ft

The lt4 hot cam sounds good.
In my Caprice I have gone 13.2 1.8 with 2800 3.42s 87 octane tune and too tall for the gearing 28X10.50 ET drags consider the variables and my "baby" cam is not far behind you probably still behind but again I think people far to quick to discount the little cams as potential performers. I have plans for more gear and stall but not till after heads and cam so I probably wont get to take this combo any further, weather has kept the track closed for the last several weekends .
Old 11-27-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Compstall
I don't think anyone said that.
Yeah I know, just everyone likes to give the hotcam head all day long like it's god.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why all the name calling?? Wow!!! I'll stick with my baby cam 242/248.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Listen you stupid ******* newb. An LE1 H/C cost $1100. Yet you think its OK to waste time and money putting in $500 for a yesteryear cam like the Hot Cam. Whether you realize it or not fucktard, he is going to have to change the springs, rockers, lifters, etc..NOT something easy to do from someone who has never done it before. He asked for advice and I gave it asswipe.

Now go back and play with your Tinker Toys and Barbie dolls...the MEN are haveing a discussion here.
Most people buy a Hotcam if they're on a budget. It's better than NO cam, and the LE1 is still over DOUBLE the price, and you didn't even include all the incidentals.

......keep flexin' those keyboard muscles kid.

Quick Reply: LT4 cam kit