LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 rx7 advice =)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 rx7 advice =)

Hey guys!

Admittedly I used to drive a mitusbishi evo 8, but i sold it and smartened up! I've always tinkered and driven imports, but I can't handle the ricer crowd anylonger, and the draw of V8s and big block power was just too much for me

I don't hate imports tho, and i don't hate domestics.. i just appreciate power and speed, so thats why i've moved into a lightweight rx7 equipped with a 95 z28 LT1. This is the mods list:

1995 LT1 engine and 6 speed transmission ('95 Z28 donor with 55k miles) / Corvette fuel rail covers / Granny's engine and transmission cradle and driveshaft / Spec stage III six puck clutch Wilwood clutch master cylinder / Hedman headers with Jethot Coating Oversize / aluminum radiator with dual Olds Alero fans (operated by engine ECU) / Walbro 255HP fuel pump / Meziere electric water pump / Custom 2 1/2" Y pipe / Apex'i GT Spec catback exhaust (3 3/4" full length) / Tein HA coilover suspension (25 way adjustable) Tein optional camber plates

Honestly I don't know a lot yet about LT1s, but I understand the concepts of creating power. The car now will run low 12s, and I'm interested in getting into the mid - low 11s without spray. I've read through the newbie FAQs, but there wasn't specific cam info. I'm imagining I should run taller gears with a higher lift cam.. that may help. ive also read the LT1 has really poor flowing heads, do most replace the heads or just have them ported?

any advice about getting deep into the 11s, or anything in general?

thanks guys, i cant wait to pull up next to people who think im driving a rotary.. then they hear the roar of a lopey LT1
Old 11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like an awesome setup.

Heads and Cam swaps definetly wake up an LT1, depending on how much money you are looking to spend there are a couple different vendors that sell "Custom" heads and cam packages tailored to what you want. These are definetly the way to go in my opinion. They can ask you questions about your setup and how much you wanna spend and come up with what is best for you.

While you are doing the swap, you will probably want to swap in new lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, timing chain, and im sure im forgetting other stuff.

I would get intouch with Lloyd Elliot or Advance Induction and tell them what you want, they will hook you up.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

What year RX7? Is the car together?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Teching In

its a FC, 1988 10th AE

it's together at the moment and drives around no problem. It's in total working condition

I really have no experience dealing with domestic engines, but part of me wants to put in a bbc just to be outrageous. however i think it'd be a hell of a time fortunately though i have a dd : ) .. and the winter is long heh

Quick Reply: LT1 rx7 advice =)