LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

190,000, rebuilding question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 190,000, rebuilding question

Im somewhat a novice. Been racing and building for a couple years. Ive got a 93 z28 auto, just wondering i know its speed density. ive heard i should swap for mass airflow. but not sure what all to replace and if it would be easy of just to keep what i have. and also what should i replace if i rebuild it. its got 190000, ima just throw a cam in it when i rebuild it. would i just be better off getting something newer?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Teching In

I would reccomend trying to find a different block, but if you still want to rebuild the one you have send it to a machine shop and get every thing true, plane the heads and the deck and the cylinder walls should be hoaned and cleaned.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you can find another block to build up then you have less down time, but as for what to do, get the block machined as stated, if you are going for some serious power, get splayed mains, but if you are going to run a basicly stock engine, then have the stock crank and rods checked out (can be reused). new oversized pistons rings, new gaskets, new oil pump, new timing set, posibly have heads gone through and rebuilt.

But before we can really answer, what do you want to do with it, what are you goals?

and as for speed density, for me, I wouldn't change for anything.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Teching In

thats mostly what im trying to decide. as of now. id like to go with , head/cam. a nice cam with a decent lift. its going to be daily driven. would anyone suggest any piston/rods for a build. possibly high compression. id like to be in the 12's. i have 373s sitting in my dorm room. and working on a manual swap just getting the parts and what not. but being stuck on base limits me working on the car. blah

Quick Reply: 190,000, rebuilding question