LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cooling a high HP 383 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling a high HP 383 LT1

I know my stock radiator is gonna be worthless for me, so Ive been looking into aftermarket radiators...
It seems the BeCool radiators are only rated to 400hp.
The Griffen radiators are rated at 400 and 600hp.
I heard that AFCO makes one for our LT1 f-bods, but cant find anything about it, not even pricing.

Who else makes radiators for our cars?
How do they come up with these HP ratings?

Im going for 650 to the wheels, 765ish flywheel... But to keep a safe margin, I figured the fuel system for 800fwhp... Noone seems to have a radiator for something that high, so I wonder how I should go about trying to match the ideal radiator to my setup.

With my stock motor putting 450 to the wheels and not having any cooling issues whatsoever, I doubt the HP levels they advertise are anywhere near accurate. I know an FI motor would run somewhat hotter than the same motor without the blower, but would it really be proportional to HP when its un-naturally aspirated?

Last edited by Fire67; 01-18-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running a Be Cool(and have the Be Cool mods to install it right) and my car has yet to get over 170!

After spending a bunch of time on the phone with Be Cool I learned a few things.

The rating is Sustained non-stop HP. This means 24/7 making 400+ HP

I also will be making over 700 Crank HP and I was assured un-less I am going to raod race on Juice I should be fine It was also mentioned with as much Rock as I have in the block I should think of a Oil cooler My oil temps are holding 230 with the coolant at 170 after a hard Hiway run in 50* weather.

To be honest so far the Be Cool alomst seems to efficent. Damn heater won't get hot
Old 01-19-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would a factory styled oil cooler work for you?
Im also considering an oil cooler, but wanted to wait untill I saw the oil temps.
Thanks for the info on HP ratings, could you elaborate on the "BeCool Mods" you had to do in order to correctly install it?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluidyne makes a replacement radiator for the LT1.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just looking at the Fluidyne radiators... Their pretty nice.
Anyone know of specific mods that need to be done for installation of these radiators?
I know the high performance radiators are thicker than stock, so does the extra thickness get split front to rear or all to one side? In other words, is the radiator gonna make my fans closer to the engine?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

As far as mod's they were light. I had to trim the front tabs and re-slot them for the A/C condensor. (Yes I plan on running low tens high nines with A/C).

Then because I run a LPE TB I had to trim a rib off the Fan shroud, Trim a corner so the SLP CAI would fit and take a little more out of the Water pump area so the CSI water pump would fit again

Over all not much but details make it all better. Look for Be Cool to change the tabs so things fit better I was autherized by Be Cool to modify my rad to fit
Old 01-20-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
As far as mod's they were light. I had to trim the front tabs and re-slot them for the A/C condensor. (Yes I plan on running low tens high nines with A/C).

Then because I run a LPE TB I had to trim a rib off the Fan shroud, Trim a corner so the SLP CAI would fit and take a little more out of the Water pump area so the CSI water pump would fit again

Over all not much but details make it all better. Look for Be Cool to change the tabs so things fit better I was autherized by Be Cool to modify my rad to fit
Cool, doesnt sound too bad. About how much were the fan shrouds pushed towards the radiator?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Fans went back to where they sit right behind the radiator shroud.

Next time I have it out I might see about cuting the rear tabs the way I did the fronts and moving it forward 1/4 inch. but it fits now and is finally up and running after two years

BTW I did have to trim the Radiator side of the fan frame to get it to fit. forgot till just now

Quick Reply: Cooling a high HP 383 LT1