LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running high temp???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006 | 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Default Running high temp???

I just got the car started after the LT header install. I also installed a 160* thermostat and I'm currently running open headers. The temp guage at first went to the red when I drove it and low coolant appeared on the dash. I filled it up with coolant and now that signal is gone. The car is running a constant 230* right after the 210* mark. Is that normal? I assume the computer just needs to adjust to the 160* thermostat??? Thanks for your help.

BTW: open headers is sick!!!!!!!!!! too loud for daily driving lol
Old 01-29-2006 | 10:46 AM
Launching!

I put a 160degree stat in my car when i put on my electric water pump and it runs at about 180
Old 01-29-2006 | 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I just got the car started after the LT header install. I also installed a 160* thermostat and I'm currently running open headers. The temp guage at first went to the red when I drove it and low coolant appeared on the dash. I filled it up with coolant and now that signal is gone. The car is running a constant 230* right after the 210* mark. Is that normal? I assume the computer just needs to adjust to the 160* thermostat??? Thanks for your help.

BTW: open headers is sick!!!!!!!!!! too loud for daily driving lol
if it sits in traffic it will get hotter, LT1s are known for getting hot when idle or driving below 40 mph, now if you go on the freeway and drive 65 for about 10 min, it will go around 170-180. but if you stay at a red light for a while, i have gotten up to 230, i need a fan relay heh
Old 01-29-2006 | 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you make sure to bleed your coolant system? i know when i first installed my headers i had to bleed the lines a couple times so the temp would stop creeping that high. you also get used to the sound of open headers. drove with them for a couple months after my y-pipe was badly damaged. nothing much better than to have a cop stop you at a light and tell you the car sounds good even after finding out the exhaust is open.
Old 01-29-2006 | 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
did you make sure to bleed your coolant system? i know when i first installed my headers i had to bleed the lines a couple times so the temp would stop creeping that high. you also get used to the sound of open headers. drove with them for a couple months after my y-pipe was badly damaged. nothing much better than to have a cop stop you at a light and tell you the car sounds good even after finding out the exhaust is open.
We bled the coolant system when we installed the thermostat but not all the way. Today we topped it off and the temp started to level off but still run high. Maybe I will completely bleed it then fill it up again. I have an appointment at the local Pontiac Dealer for them to completely flush out the system next month cause my fluid is brown since 2 kinds were mixed last year when the body shop filled it after I messed up the car.

Quick Reply: Running high temp???