LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1996 Camaro SS..Nice exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Camaro SS..Nice exhaust system?

Well, i just purchased a 1996 SS. It's number 41 of the 2410 built. I'm picking it up next week, so by the time i pick it up, i would like to have an exhaust system ready. The car is 100% stock and the exhaust note is still amazing, but i need something more muscular!!! I was thinking an SLP Loudmouth. I heard they sound great and there relatively cheap. Also, how is the Magnaflow system? I had it on my 98 V6 bird and it was great quality and it looked very nice also. I know exhaust sounds are subjective and i've already been to ls1sounds. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal favorites are...

Non Stainless Steel: Hooker
Stainless Steel: SLP 2OTL

Magnaflow is a quality exhaust system... probably the best bang for the buck catback out there. I'm not a fan of the Loudmouth, it sounds like **** with headers IMO.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. I don't plan on putting headers on. I'll i need is an exhaust system. I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

How loud are you looking to have the car?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Well, i live in a residential area. I come home from work pretty late sometimes. I would like it loud though. I heard Magnaflow exhaust is pretty good for that. It has a quite idle and when at WOT it really opens up. Plus, it's cheap and it has nice chrome tips!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GMMG if you have the cash.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^agreed , GMMG is probably one of the best if not the best sounding catback IMO....but the downer is the $$$ to fork over for it.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Loudmouth is too loud on an LT1 car and you would definitely **** off your neighbors. The Hooker cat-back sounds really good and sounds better with headers. I still have the stock SLP 2OTL exhaust on my 96 SS. Right now I don't have any cats because of the header install so it's decently loud but still not real bad until you hit WOT. I recently listened to the PYPES cat-back on an LT1 car and it sounded great. Try going here Pypes soundclips and go down and listen to the stock 94 v8 TA towards the bottom right.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Launching!

if it came with the optional performance exhaust i would keep it. the 2otl is one of the best flowing out there.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't mind the pricetag... GMMG hands down, I was skeptical at first, but well worth the money. I have a few sound clips on ls1sounds with LTs and cats if you wish to browse. congrats on the purchase, LT1 SS is one of my favorites.

-J
Old 01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

get the LM, it isn't that loud, you'll love it! LM > Magnaflow
GET IT!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ks my ss
if it came with the optional performance exhaust i would keep it. the 2otl is one of the best flowing out there.

Yeah, it still has the stock exhaust from SLP. I'm just contemplating if i really want to change anything. I'd love to keep it 100% stock. There aren't many stock ones around. Plus, it's number 41!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Dont believe all the trash being talked about the loudmouth. Its a great exhaust. IMO its the perfect exhuast for the LT1. Its fairly raspy and pretty stinkin loud but has a great tone.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

firefighter1, I have the Borla adjustable catback on my 95 Formula and I love it. I like it because it has different plates that you can install, from fully closed so all the exhaust is direced through the muffler or the open plate which pretty much flows straight through (bypasses the muffler). I installed the open plate when I installed it so I cant personally tell you how it sounds with any of the other 3 plates installed. My exhaust is stock except for the Borla, and it is pretty loud. Its sounds louder at idle than stock and at WOT it sounds nasty, and in 6th gear on the highway at 70mph its not really any louder that stock. The only thing is when it is cold it is a little raspy, but when it gets up to temp it has no rasp at all. The Borla system is pretty pricey, But I think its worth it.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rebob5
firefighter1, I have the Borla adjustable catback on my 95 Formula and I love it. I like it because it has different plates that you can install, from fully closed so all the exhaust is direced through the muffler or the open plate which pretty much flows straight through (bypasses the muffler). I installed the open plate when I installed it so I cant personally tell you how it sounds with any of the other 3 plates installed. My exhaust is stock except for the Borla, and it is pretty loud. Its sounds louder at idle than stock and at WOT it sounds nasty, and in 6th gear on the highway at 70mph its not really any louder that stock. The only thing is when it is cold it is a little raspy, but when it gets up to temp it has no rasp at all. The Borla system is pretty pricey, But I think its worth it.
the borlas sound AMAZING on these cars too.... Loudmouth or Borla either one is great
Old 01-31-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just uploaded A short vid of my car onto streetfire.net. When it is up I will edit this and then post the link to the page.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to have to add to the borla lovin guys. I have it and it is beautiful. i also live in a residential area and i come home from work late cuz i work afternoons. I can't get enough of it. I have mine as my daily driver so this winter I put the full blocking plate it so the rest goes thru the muffler and it's still nice sounding. But with the 3 different plates you get different sounds...and they are mean too. i would go for a borla. i 100% love it and wouldn't change it. It's an easy 3 bolt system. I'm planning on opening up to totally open in the spring. cant wait. SOunds SO mean
Old 01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have hooker....just to my cardomain page a hear it
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

The 2otl is awsome i cant wait to hear it on my car with my new kooks long tubes and no cat y pipe with a huge cam.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you 100% the borla.

Originally Posted by Rebob5

Quick Reply: 1996 Camaro SS..Nice exhaust system?