LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hotcam and programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotcam and programming

I am installing a LT4 hotcam kit in a 94 Z-28 and i was wondering if anyone knows if I can use my stock torque convertor, I know a stall will be much better but I would like to run my stock torque for now. Also I am going to have my processor reprogrammed soon and does anyone know if the stock processor with a LT4 knock module will work for a while.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:09 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by d-marlo1
I am installing a LT4 hotcam kit in a 94 Z-28 and i was wondering if anyone knows if I can use my stock torque convertor, I know a stall will be much better but I would like to run my stock torque for now. Also I am going to have my processor reprogrammed soon and does anyone know if the stock processor with a LT4 knock module will work for a while.
You can use your stock torque converter, but that cam will really wake up with a 2800 or 3200 stall speed. With that cam and a stock converter, I have had to set the in-gear idle speed to 800 rpm to prevent intermittent stalling.
If the person that programs your PCM has a clue as to what they are doing, you won't need to buy an LT4 knock module. That is just a band-aid to cover up other issues.

Good luck, Ed
Old 02-05-2006, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It will run with the stock programming, but I don't recommend that. Reprogramming is relatively inexpensive and should be considered required for a modified car otherwise you are leaving a signifigant amount of the power you should have gained on the table. A local put a bigger cam in his 97 with no programming, then we met and I convinced him to let me load something close to what he needed in an OBD1 pcm and plug it in. He was so impressed he went straight home and ordered proper custom programming.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the reprogramming doen as soon as possible. Mine sucked through a tank of gas in 60 miles of street driving when I first got it in. MY cpu could not cope with the Hotcam. Once it was programmed though, it was back to normal, getting 240 miles per tank.

Quick Reply: Hotcam and programming