LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

possible opti problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006 | 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Default possible opti problem?

I was driving my 93 to work the other night and it just died right in the middle of the road and would not start. It did not spit or sputter or anything. Just died instantly. Towed it home, checked it again, still would not hit a lick. But the next morning, I went out and it fired right up and has been running fine. What the hell? I'm afraid to drive it now. And I don't know what the hell happened. Could it be the Opti?
Old 02-22-2006 | 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine died on me also, turned out to be the coil.
Old 02-22-2006 | 04:02 PM
Launching!

it doesn`t sound like a opti problem let it run in the yard until it gets good and hot and let it run for awhile and see if it quits if it does pull first plug wire on the driver side of the motor and ground it with a screw driver and see if fires, if not its either the coil or opti but if it does its a fuel problem maybe the fuel pump is getting hot and shutting off. write back and let us know whats up with it.
Old 02-22-2006 | 07:48 PM
Launching!

Mine did the same exact thing, turned out to be the fuel pump. Turn the key to the on position with the engine off, listen closely to hear the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system. Or hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the fuel rail, turn the key to the on position with the engine off and You should see about 35 PSI. Sometimes You just have to wait until it fails again to test it and diagnose it correctly. If everything checks out, then it probably is the Opti. If it was the coil the chances are a lot less likely that it would start up again. Hope this helps, let us know what happens.
Old 02-23-2006 | 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black1997T/A
If it was the coil the chances are a lot less likely that it would start up again. Hope this helps, let us know what happens.

Mine did (after about 15-20 minute cool-down) the first couple of times it happened. On about the 4th time it was done for good.
Old 02-23-2006 | 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

also check the module that is on the bracket with the coil that can couse your problem as well
Old 02-23-2006 | 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

mines doing this right know glad some one posted this good luck
Old 02-23-2006 | 11:18 PM
hashtagBMW

Mine died on the road just like yours, it was the opti.
Old 02-23-2006 | 11:48 PM
On The Tree

mine did that on the way back from a trip and if i would let it sit for about 10 min it would run for a few mins. i replaced the coil and the problem went away. it also had corosion on the trminal of the coil. dont know if it was from the corosion or not but none the less i replaced the coil and it runs fine.
Old 02-24-2006 | 12:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black1997T/A
If it was the coil the chances are a lot less likely that it would start up again. Hope this helps, let us know what happens.
Like I said, the chances are a lot LESS likely that it would start up again. I did'nt mean it was impossible for it to start up again.
Old 02-24-2006 | 09:01 AM
On The Tree

I got it. The four prong electrical connection going into the top of the opti was not making a solid connection. The clip is broken off and the plug was about to fall out. I would like to replace the plug but I may have to find a parts car to hack one out. I'm not sure if they can be bought or not. But it's in there for now and hasn't died yet.
Old 02-24-2006 | 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the harness is replaceable and disconnects right by the canister purge actuator on the pass. side of the intake. I'm not sure if it's the same on the 93, but try there first.
Old 02-24-2006 | 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jaybob
I got it. The four prong electrical connection going into the top of the opti was not making a solid connection. The clip is broken off and the plug was about to fall out. I would like to replace the plug but I may have to find a parts car to hack one out. I'm not sure if they can be bought or not. But it's in there for now and hasn't died yet.
You can buy them.
Old 02-24-2006 | 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rickys93z
mines doing this right know glad some one posted this good luck
Mine's doing this right now. Glad someone posted this. Good luck.

Perhaps your sig shoud say "I'm from Hawaii and need English classes."
Old 02-24-2006 | 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to see we have the grammar police trying to enforce some sort of... well, wtf are you trying to do?

Anyhow, when my opti died (at ~62k miles), I was driving along and it coughed once and kaput. I had the laptop in the trunk, so I fired it up and found one of the opti codes (I think it was hi-res failure). I reset the PCM (pulled the fuse) and was able to go about another half mile before she quit again. Pull the fuse... repeat. Got 'er home and tucked away with 4 fuse pulls.
Old 02-24-2006 | 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Glad to see we have the grammar police trying to enforce some sort of... well, wtf are you trying to do?
Well, I was a little ticked off about his signature because everyone still seems to think that in Kentucky, we have slaves and still run around with no shoes. I thought I would fight fire with fire.
Old 02-24-2006 | 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Well, I was a little ticked off about his signature because everyone still seems to think that in Kentucky, we have slaves and still run around with no shoes. I thought I would fight fire with fire.
ha ha ha ha im from ky also so back off what part you from? and by the some still do run round w/o shoes (most of my people) ha ha ha
Old 02-24-2006 | 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rickys93z
ha ha ha ha im from ky also so back off what part you from? and by the some still do run round w/o shoes (most of my people) ha ha ha

Oh ok, I thought you were slamming Kentucky. Some people act superior over Kentucky so I thought that's what you were doing since your location didn't say Kentucky, it said Hawaii. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, I'm from Monticello.
Old 02-24-2006 | 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Oh ok, I thought you were slamming Kentucky. Some people act superior over Kentucky so I thought that's what you were doing since your location didn't say Kentucky, it said Hawaii. Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, I'm from Monticello.
no worrys im from mt.sterling i just live in hawaii
Old 02-25-2006 | 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Well, back to the drawing board. Drove it for a couple short trips and it died again today. Wouldn't start, pulled it home. No spark from coil-wire. Tried new coil, nothing. Tried new module, nothing. Tried every once in a while, all of the sudden fires right up. I let it run for about an hour and it was fine. But when I shut it off and tried it again.....nothing! IT IS SO ******* RANDOM! I'm half-hot on this deal.

Quick Reply: possible opti problem?