LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pulling the heads this weekend. Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the heads this weekend. Tips?

Hey guys. Just wondering if you can give me some tips for pulling my heads off this weekend. What should I do about the exhaust? Should I unbolt it from the Y-Pipe back? I know you guys have torn these motors down before so help me out!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
Hey guys. Just wondering if you can give me some tips for pulling my heads off this weekend. What should I do about the exhaust? Should I unbolt it from the Y-Pipe back? I know you guys have torn these motors down before so help me out!
Just unbolt the headers from the collectors is all you need, then ziptie them to the side of the fenderwells for room to pull the heads.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

don't break any bolts and get them stuck in the block
Old 03-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

I just put head gaskets on my car....I have the stock manifolds (ugh), and I just unbolted them from the y-pipe...the heads came off no problem. I took my AIR injection off, so the heads were easier to get back on. If you're pulling the heads, you may as well re-seal the front of the motor too, it is WAY easier to get to if the top end is torn apart. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, timing gears and chain, water pump, front cover seals, had the heads ported and polished, 4-angle valve grind, intake ported for a bigger throttle body, and new upper end gaskets, and I was in it $1200.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by soccrkid64
I just put head gaskets on my car....I have the stock manifolds (ugh), and I just unbolted them from the y-pipe...the heads came off no problem. I took my AIR injection off, so the heads were easier to get back on. If you're pulling the heads, you may as well re-seal the front of the motor too, it is WAY easier to get to if the top end is torn apart. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, timing gears and chain, water pump, front cover seals, had the heads ported and polished, 4-angle valve grind, intake ported for a bigger throttle body, and new upper end gaskets, and I was in it $1200.
How much of a seat of the pants difference did you feel after having the heads ported?

Quick Reply: Pulling the heads this weekend. Tips?