LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Windshield Wipers stop at top????

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield Wipers stop at top????

For the last week my windshield wipers have been acting crazy...I havent had time to fix them because my transmission got rebuilt at the end of last week and i just got done replacing my oil pressure sending unit...its been fun....But the windshield wipers decide to stop at the top instead of the bottom?!?! It's like they stop at the bottom for a second and look like they are going to fall into place like they should but instead they shoot back up and stop...I saw a Z28 with the same problem the other day so im guessing this may be a common problem... Has anyone had this problem or have any advice on what this is (relay?? switch??) And how do i go about fixing that because it gets pretty annoying as you can imagine....
Old 03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like it needs to have the wiper motor replaced. Either that or take it apart and see why it isn't staying down. Usually they have some round copper rings inside that power the motor and it switches it into "down" mode, but I haven't taken apart a newer one lately. It may be a cracked printed circuit trace that sometimes makes enough connection to half way work, and then it opens up enough to lose connection when you don't want it to.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Cool, thanks...I'll hopefully have time to check it out this evening. Anyone know how much of a PITA the motors are to replace by chance, never had to deal with any before
Old 04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Anybody else ever had this problem or heard of someone who has?? I've seen 3 or 4 around my city so i'm thinking its a common problem. I havent had time to buy a new motor for it, etc. So i was hoping maybe its just something thats real small that i can fix. Any advice or info for me?? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

I had this problem on a 98... everything I read said it was the motor, I sold the car before it was fixed.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 93 does that since I got it, I heard its the motor as well, I have also heard of people opening them and resodering the connection and it fixed the problem. They usally sell them off e-bay, I need to change mine out.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Excellent. Thanks for the help guys. I figured that's what probably needed to be done, but it never hurts to check if someone has had the same problem and its just something real small and no money to fix.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers stop at top????