LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Jeep conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Jeep conversion

I bought a totaled 95 z28 camaro for the motor and transmission. I swapped them into an 89 jeep wrangler using the existing wiring harness. Initially everything worked. Then a couple months later, before I got the jeep back on the road, it stopped working. Now when I turn the key on I get the low trac light for about 5 seconds then it goes out. No other lights come on and it won't turn over. I bought a cable to hook it to my laptop so I could modify the computer later. When I connect the cable to the maintenance port I can start the jeep but it runs in some sort of maintenance loop, very badly. If I unplug the cord while it's running the jeep dies. Before I go any further I want to know what's wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Teching In

That sucks....how much miles on motor?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like you got an electrical problem... you say the abs light is on... are you using the dash out of the camaro? or is this the jeep?

also what did you do about the security... the camaros have to have that chip in the key to allow it to start.

i did the same swap, but i just used a painless kit. it came with a modual to wire to the security wire... probably just a resitor.

Quick Reply: LT1 Jeep conversion