LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help! Water pump issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help! Water pump issue!

So I broke down and got stranded in canda because of my water pump. They said the shaft gears were stripped and the propeller was not spinning, they got a new pump, and shaft and installe it. I just called and now they said call back in an hour cuz they need to replace the 0-rings ( I think it's a gasket for the water pump) , they say it's leaking oil..................................now is this true or is he just bull shitting me to get payed more?? POST QUICKLY

What is this o ring thats leaking oil, is it from teh shaft, timing chain cover or.........? HELP i can't be ripped off.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

wherebouts in canada are you?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well my car is in woodstock ontario. Now i'm back at home in Detroit michigan. So pissed. They said the O-ring is leaking oil. Can anyone explain this to me?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Launching!

i can't help you with your tech question. i do live about 30 miles to the west of woodstock, in london.pm me. i am more than willing to help. if pm doesn't work please repost.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

are they talking about the seal on the timing cover?
i'd call them up and figure out what they are doing. make it sound like you know what your talking about... might scare them from trying to ripe you off
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm talking with him right now and said it was workingg, but in the water pump there is a bearing, sleeve and 3 o rings I thinkk(in the block), once the car wamred up it started leaking bad. So they just have to replace that.

So it was NOT the timing chain cover gasket.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hammrman31
i can't help you with your tech question. i do live about 30 miles to the west of woodstock, in london.pm me. i am more than willing to help. if pm doesn't work please repost.
if you need transportation free pm me.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I know what you are talking about. When I did my cam swap, I put the new seals in and my water pump drive seal was leaking very badly. I discovered that there is a special tool that slides over the drive while you install the seal. I did my seal with the cover off and when I replaced it, the "lips" of the seal stuck outward making it leak. I imagine this has happened to them. I had to get with my dealer and they let me borrow their "LT1 engine tool kit." There is a little plastic sleeve that slides over that drive gear and holds the seal out while you press it in place. Problem solved. I put a big wad of RTV along the bottom edge too since the opti could press against it for good measure.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hammrman31
if you need transportation free pm me.
Thanks for the offer. PM SENT
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I think I know what you are talking about. When I did my cam swap, I put the new seals in and my water pump drive seal was leaking very badly. I discovered that there is a special tool that slides over the drive while you install the seal. I did my seal with the cover off and when I replaced it, the "lips" of the seal stuck outward making it leak. I imagine this has happened to them. I had to get with my dealer and they let me borrow their "LT1 engine tool kit." There is a little plastic sleeve that slides over that drive gear and holds the seal out while you press it in place. Problem solved. I put a big wad of RTV along the bottom edge too since the opti could press against it for good measure.
Yeah I talked to some freinds and they said the same exact thingg.

here is the link in case some one else needs it and needs to know whats going on

http://mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthr...0732#post50732
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I read the other forum. Doesn't sound like they're trying to screw you. They would have had to remove the opti to get the timing cover off to replace the water pump shaft gear. That top seal is leaking. They need to find a dealer and see if they can get those tools. Buying them is extremely $$$. Don't know why they are calling it an O ring. It's a seal. THERE ARE O rings that go around the opti drive gear but I left them out. Don't need them I don't think.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They didn't take timing cover off NOR the opti. but theey are canadian So I think they are just speaking another language.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm, not sure how they replaced the gear without removing the cover. Good luck to you.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe they did. I just asked him if they had to remove the opti and he said no. So I thought you couldn't take off the cover with out taking off the opti that is in front of it.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Launching!

sorry man london ont canada you dudes got friends up here.. let me help.

Quick Reply: Need help! Water pump issue!