LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 vavle covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 vavle covers

i am in the middle of removing the valve covers on my ta. i have the 4 bolts removed but i thought that they would lift right off. is there a trick to getting these off?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Pull harder, or use a flathead screwdriver to pry it off gently.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

can be a little stuck after a long bolton time, no real trick, you don't want to really go crazy prying or you'll bend the flimsy gm covers and leak. Soft rubber mallet and a couple pings should loosen up the seal.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

well i got it off no problem with a mallet. but there is a hard ticking sound that i thought was the rockers, springs or pushrods. but they all look fine. i hae heard that this could also be an exhaust leak, cracked header bolt, and the valve train. any suggestions on what to look at/for. the car stsrts fine, runs fine, there is no power loss. this happened right after i got done doing a pull with my friend.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ihaterice
well i got it off no problem with a mallet. but there is a hard ticking sound that i thought was the rockers, springs or pushrods. but they all look fine. i hae heard that this could also be an exhaust leak, cracked header bolt, and the valve train. any suggestions on what to look at/for. the car stsrts fine, runs fine, there is no power loss. this happened right after i got done doing a pull with my friend.
pickup about a 3' length of 3/8" rubber hose from the autoparts, let the car idle while you stick one end around the header bolts, above, below, etc and the other end to your ear, if she's leaking you'll hear it. Start with that to rule out the header leaks first.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

well it is not an exhust leak. me and my dad took another look at it and we think that it is either a valve sticking, bad lifter, or lifter not filling with oil mabey due to synthetic?