LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What size bolt do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What size bolt do I need?

Alright I have a big exhaust leak because one of my header bolts came out! I have Mac Mids so what size bolt do I need to replace it with? My car sound like a tractor!

Also what do you guys use to tighten the bolts with? I tried using a regular ratchet and socket but it just wouldnt fit on snug, it kind of tightened them but they could use a little more.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont remember the size but autozone carries header bolts. just tell them the info and they can pull them. depending on how thick your header flange is you may need a 1" long bolt. i believe the stock are 3/4". check your gasket to see if youve burned through it as well.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One last problem. I replaced the bolt and used a gear wrench to tighten the rest. But whoever installed the headers stripped out the hole on the very back passenger side. So what do I do about that? Do I have to re-thread the hole and put a bigger bolt in it like from Lowes or Home Depot?
Old 07-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to use a Heli-coil kit to repair the threads. Might be kind of tricky to perform that kind of surgury in that area. You can do it with a little bit of patience,