LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT's and ORY Next.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT's and ORY Next.

I plan to get Pacesetter LTs and ORY next. Do I get ones for emissions? Or non-emissions? I mean, I know my car has the air,egr now. But what are my benefits to losing that stuff? Any negative effects?? I have read that blocking the egr can raise temps etc.?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, do you have emissions testing in your area or not? That's the biggest driver of the decision.

What you've read about EGR is BS...EGR only operates at part throttle steady cruise anyway....at idle or WOT the EGR valve is closed.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Not an issue.... I have the hookup on my inspection. So that considered. Should I buy the "off road" headers? I just dont want to bother losing the egr etc if it will cause me headaches.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, the EGR and AIR allows for a cleaner and more efficient combustion and that's what the motor was designed for. many people block off the EGR/AIR but doesn't that screw around with the combustion? if no exhaust gasses are being recycled, then the engine cylinders burns hotter from a lack of exhaust. now, since it's burning hotter, it rises above the optimal combustion temperature range. now, this messes with the spark and all this other nonsense throughout the rest of the motor. personally, i wouldn't mess with it and try to delete stuff unless you really know what you're doing. not only will you need a tune to program the EGR SES light out, but you may also need other modifications to make up for your no-longer-existent emmissions elements.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sdm1234
well, the EGR and AIR allows for a cleaner and more efficient combustion and that's what the motor was designed for. many people block off the EGR/AIR but doesn't that screw around with the combustion? if no exhaust gasses are being recycled, then the engine cylinders burns hotter from a lack of exhaust. now, since it's burning hotter, it rises above the optimal combustion temperature range. now, this messes with the spark and all this other nonsense throughout the rest of the motor. personally, i wouldn't mess with it and try to delete stuff unless you really know what you're doing. not only will you need a tune to program the EGR SES light out, but you may also need other modifications to make up for your no-longer-existent emmissions elements.
Yea Im all for cleaning up my engine bay a little, but not at the expense of engine damage. I have read somewhere else that the combustion temps get hot enough to cause concern. Anyone else know anything on this topic?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get rid of it if you want a cleaner engine bay. EGR delete wont hurt anything and if you have an obd1 car no ses light either. the reason for dumping exhaust into the chamber is to lower temps because NOx is created at high temps which is bad for the earth. No real performance advantage to either one.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

This is what I have read. Notice this, the LT4 Engine has no EGR on it at all. The stock Cam profile in the LT4 allows the pressure inside the Cylinders to be bled out while it is running. I don't know what exactly does it, I think it may be the Duration. The stock LT1 Cam does not do this. The LT1 has it to reduce the pressures and temp. inside the Cylinders by sending in exhaust, instead of fresh oxygen. Also this does reduce emissions. The reason I am removing my EGR is because I have the Hotcam in mine, and it should do the same as the LT4 does stock. Also, mine was running a little lean, causing the Head Gasket to burn up, and we think the cause was actually the EGR running as designed. It was no where near overheating, it was running at 200 degrees. Removing it and re-tuning it should make it run right. I am also installing the Pace Setter Racing LT's (no EGR/AIR), so this will be less of a pain to do with all that stuff gone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT's and ORY Next.