LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD help please

Old 07-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD help please

I just wired in my MSD 6AL with a 8970 3 stage timing retard. I have the white wire going from the 8970 to the white wire that original went to the ignition module. The white wire is listed as Timing Control from the PCM. I have test the MSD equipment by disconnecting the white wire from the pcm and then turning the ignition on and touching the white wire from the 8970 to ground and I do get spark at the coil. Am i missing something
Old 07-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Launching!

Anybody?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Ok here is an update to try and get this resolved. After some research I guess I was under the impression that the 6AL was going to replace the factory ignition module. I guessing that is not so after trolling several forums but really find no specific answers. So I tried to get the MSD 6AL to fire from the factory ignition module with no luck had to rewire the ignition module and coil back in until I find somebody with some experience. I tried to get it to fire by hooking the the White wire to the pink and black wire from the ignition module aith no luck I also tried the white and black wire from th ignition module. I can get the MSD 6AL to spark if I ground the white wire per there testing instructions so the MSD equipment tests OK. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Have the 6AL also and I did not hook up the timing retard this go around with the new build, but I have my original hand written schematic and the 6AL directions in my center consolve, will check it out this evening and reply. Last Thur night I ditched the new LTCC for a new gm opti, msd 8.5s and 6AL, I couldn't get mine to fire either, turns out the last wire on the right (looking down from front of engine) for the ICM has to be hooked back up to the white on the 6AL.

UPDATE: I have the schematic but it shows the white from the timing retard to go to a white coming of thee GM coil white wire, there is only an orange and white on mine so that didn't make any sense to me, unless they mean hook it up to the white from the PCM. My hand drawn schematic has the connections for the MSD timing control the way it was hooked up prior my build. I'll get it when I get home from work and holla back.

Last edited by BRETTINATOR; 07-17-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the update but that would be where it got a little confusing for me also. The seperated wires orange and black in one sleeve on the 6AL are for the coil which I also am replacing the factory coil with an MSD So I hooked Orange and black to the coil. I tried both the Pink/Blk which is listed as the ignition input and then I also tried the White/Blk which is listed as the Primary Coil Driver to fire the MSD but no spark, if I disconnect the white wire from the module and turn the key on and tap the white wire a have all kinds of spark from the coil. Beats the hell out of me. But I am guessing that the Pink/Blk and the White/Blk off the ignition module have to be used together to make the module work. You had mention trying to fire it directly from the whiter of the PCM and I was told earlier today that the only way it will work is with the factory ignition module or some other type of after market ignition module. The worst part of this is I have been waiting to run the sportsman fogger system on the new 383 and I am stuck here until this is resolved......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSD help please