LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need a recall number

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need a recall number

i was just wondering what the number for the technical service bulliten for the drive shaft on our cars where they replace it with an aluminum one from the ls1 cars . i remember reading somewhere there was one, but i can't find the number for it. also i already went to the dealership and asked them about it, but they couldn't find it on their database. now they did say that if i found a number for it, they would do it for me.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told it was a bulliton on how to fix the vibration on are cars but was never a recall
Old 07-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Launching!

I got it give me a sec.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Launching!

OK.... Bare with me here not sure whats corerct so Il post all I have.
Was told this is the number,

#67-41-01

published march 14, 1996

--- Then theres this post that shows a bulletin number.

Q: What is that vibration I feel around 1800-2000 RPM?

A: This problem is an unbalanced driveshaft. Most people with the problem feel it at its worst between speeds of 90 and 120 MPH. Others claim they can also feel it by slowly bringing the RPMs up to the 1800-2000 range with the car in park or neutral. But that isn't necessarily the same problem. Some even start to feel it as low as 60 MPH. It usually starts with a mild resonating vibration you can feel through the gas pedal. Then in at 80 - 90 MPH, the vibration intensified and feels as though it's coming from the center of the car.

It seems cars are coming off the assembly line with the unbalanced drive shafts. A Technical Service Bulletin (#674101) addresses this calling for replacing the stock driveshaft with a 3rd generation all-aluminum driveshaft (part #10085375) which came with the 1LE equipped cars. Although there have also been instances prior to the TSB where it was replaced with the standard 3rd gen steel driveshaft (part #26004464). Either seems to work just fine (although the aluminum one is lighter in weight). Make sure you let your dealer know what the TSB number is as it will be fixed under warranty.

--
If you want to read info on this, people were discussing this topic in a thread I started about somghing irrelevant, read pages 4 and 5.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1&page=4&pp=20
Old 07-16-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

hey mike1500, thanks. yea now i remember it was on this site, i thought i remember it being on another site. now, did the dealership replace the DS with the aluminum for you, or did you have to pay?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Launching!

I never actually did it, the thread people posted this info on was a post about me needing mods for a race, somone randomly brought it up and the discussion went on So I actually do not have any information further than what I posted or whats on the thread I linked.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah, I do ermebmer somthing abotu somone saying you MiGHT haev to have under 100k miles on it? I dont know/remember.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Here's the actual bulletin.

Document ID# 225209

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEED #67-41-01 - (Mar 14, 1996)
SUBJECT: VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEED (REPLACE PROPELLER SHAFT)

MODELS: 1993-96 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1993-96 PONTIAC FIREBIRD WITH 5.7L V8 ENGINE (VIN P - RPO LT1)

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY EXPERIENCE A VEHICLE VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. WHEN MEASURED AT THE DRIVER'S SEAT TRACK, THIS VIBRATION WILL BE A 1ST ORDER DRIVELINE FREQUENCY. THE SAME VIBRATION CAN BE CONFIRMED AT THE AXLE PINION NOSE AND AT THE REAR EXTENSION HOUSING OF THE TRANSMISSION.

IMPORTANT: WHEN MEASURING VIBRATION FREQUENCY ON A HOIST, THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE MUST BE SUPPORTED BY THE AXLE TUBES IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE PROPER VEHICLE TRIM HEIGHT. THIS WILL PREVENT VIBRATION DUE TO EXCESSIVE DRIVELINE ANGLE. ALSO, ANY VIBRATION DUE TO EXCESSIVE DRIVELINE ANGLE WILL APPEAR AS 2ND ORDER DRIVELINE FREQUENCY VIBRATION.

CAUSE:

FIRST ORDER DRIVELINE VIBRATION MAY BE CAUSED BY BEAMING BETWEEN THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION.

CORRECTION:

A PREVIOUSLY RELEASED PROPELLER SHAFT IS AVAILABLE TO ADDRESS THE HIGHWAY SPEED VIBRATION CONDITION. THIS REDUCED MASS PROPELLER SHAFT IS CONSTRUCTED OF ALUMINUM LESS A PINION DAMPER.

VERIFY CONDITION PER ABOVE NOTE THAT THE VIBRATION IS 1ST ORDER DRIVELINE DISTURBANCE; PREFERABLY USING AN ELECTRONIC VIBRATION ANALYZER (EVA).

OTHER CONDITIONS SUCH AS EXCESSIVE DRIVELINE ANGLE DIFFERENCE MAY PRODUCE 2ND ORDER DRIVELINE VIBRATION CONCERNS. THE PROPER PROCEDURES TO MEASURE AND CORRECT FOR EXCESSIVE DRIVELINE ANGLE CONDITION ARE NOT SHOWN IN THE CURRENT SERVICE MANUAL. CONSULT A 1992 SERVICE MANUAL FOR THE PROPER PROCEDURE. THE FRONT AND REAR PROPELLER SHAFT ANGLE MUST BE LESS THAN ONE DEGREE OF EACH OTHER.

IMPORTANT: DUE TO THE REMOVED DAMPER, THE ALTERNATE PROPELLER SHAFT MAY UNMASK EXISTING REAR AXLE NOISE. A LIGHTER PROPELLER SHAFT WILL REDUCE VIBRATION BUT WILL POSSIBLY UNMASK AXLE NOISE, WHILE A HEAVIER PROPELLER SHAFT WILL MASK AXLE NOISE BUT MAY CAUSE VIBRATION. THIS INHERENT CONDITION IS ALWAYS THE TRADEOFF. IT IS SUGGESTED THAT THE VEHICLE BE TEST DRIVEN TO EVALUATE AXLE NOISE BEFORE AND AFTER PARTS ARE INSTALLED.

INSTALL ALTERNATE PROPELLER SHAFT, PART NUMBER 10085375.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, USE:

LABOR OPERATION: F1280 USE PUBLISHED LABOR OPERATION TIME.

FIGURES: 0 ATTACHMENTS: 0

GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.

COPYRIGHT 1996. GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 225209
Old 07-16-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

so is this a warrenty repair only?
Old 07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had mine repaired under Warranty in 1998. The problem seemed MUCH more apparent after a trip or to past the peg that stopped the speedo from advancing It took a few visits but they did replace it under warranty.

The true problem seems to be spinning the driveling faster then it is capable of handeling with out warping I am sure 14Psi of boost did not help it out much
Old 07-16-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

i bet it didn't. do you think if i tell them that when i race, at the end of the track i got a really bad vibration. and each time it gets worse, and it happens at the most dangerous part of the track, they would have to replace it.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Yes, the car would have to be under factory warranty or extended (gmpp). Like the bulletin says, bulletins are to inform technicians of possible conditions on some vehicles, they are not recalls. If your car is not under warranty then you will have to pay for the driveshaft. They would only have to replace it if you were willing to pay for it. I knew a guy that got his replaced, but the car covered under gmpp. If you have gmpp, then you don't want to tell the dealership you are racing the car, unless you have a connection at the dealership, ex. you know the drivetrain tech or service adviser. I have an extra alum driveshaft I could sell you if you were local, Dallas area. I do not want to ship.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even if they don't replace it, and you really want one they are cheap on ebay, I got my ls1 driveshaft there, $100shipped.