LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions

1: when the low coolent light is on does the engine retard timing to try to keep it running cool or do anything else along those lines that might kill my hp?

2: my engine is missing like crazy. I'll rev it up to 2k rpm and it will miss in bursts of about 3-5 times then stop and then start again a few seconds latter. My engine has 104k on it are those signs of the opti going out? and if so would have to replace the cap a rotor or the whole thing?

Any comments would be helpful
Old 07-16-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

not sure about the first one.

2. sounds like the opti is going out and Im pretty sure you will have to replace the whole thing. not cheap
Old 07-16-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris18927
1: when the low coolent light is on does the engine retard timing to try to keep it running cool or do anything else along those lines that might kill my hp?

2: my engine is missing like crazy. I'll rev it up to 2k rpm and it will miss in bursts of about 3-5 times then stop and then start again a few seconds latter. My engine has 104k on it are those signs of the opti going out? and if so would have to replace the cap a rotor or the whole thing?

Any comments would be helpful

1: no, the low coolant sensor has no control of spark timing at all. It's merely a sensor to provide the PCM with the info to trigger the low coolant lite.

2: Hard to say with basic info. It could be anything. If you haven't done a tune up in a while, it would be a good place to start. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, 02's (yes 02 sensors ARE a tune up part). It would be a good idea to then check fuel pressure under a load should the tune up parts not take care of teh wire.

part 2 of this isn't fun, but should still be followed. If you have 104K and several years on the opti, replace it. You will be only doing yourself a favor if you do. Ideally, they should be changed as a tune up part at about 50-60K miles, but they never are. People neglect them untill they fail, and then curse them up and down as a bad design and a POS.

Part 3 of this as your other question is simple. Replace the ENTIRE opti assembly with that of an AC Delco unit.