LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

H/C plan. thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C plan. thoughts?

well i am looking at going with a custom grind cam with upper 230's lower 240's duration with a lift somewhere .600-.620 on 1.6 rockers with a lsa around 112 or so ..... got the 7/16 cc pro mag rockers NSA and chrome-moly hardened pushrods with GM guideplates ....... ill be getting some better lifters looking at the pro mag hyd roller lifters but been hearing bad stuff so im looking at morel lifters also, and some better springs and retainers ....... now this is prolly going to be going with some P&P heads like what i would get with LE3 heads(specs - 2.02int. /1.6exh. 208cc intake port flow around 280/195) with a intake P&P to match the heads and prolly ported to a 58mm or a monoblade from AS&M...... would those heads be enough to support that kinda of size cam or would i be better off getting some AFR heads and either my intake matched to it or a new intake

Im not looking for 500 at the wheels or anything im just wanting to build my LT1 a little bit until i can afford to do the boosted LQ9 408 i want to do ...... the reason i want to build the LT1 up a bit is because it will be going into a datusn 280z that i have and would bake that a baddass little car to drive as a DD

so unless getting aftermarket heads will make a huge difference id like to stick with the stock heads and just have them built up a bit, that and i can do the P&P,buildup of the stock heads for a hell of a lot cheaper
Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

if you want to do it right... get some AFR's and have them ported.... best flow ever... and get the custom cam to match the heads... you dont need the monoblade either... just stick with the 58mm...you'll be fine...
and what kind of powerband are you looking for... more lower or upper RPM power...
Old 07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas_TA
well i am looking at going with a custom grind cam with upper 230's lower 240's duration with a lift somewhere .600-.620 on 1.6 rockers with a lsa around 112 or so ..... got the 7/16 cc pro mag rockers NSA and chrome-moly hardened pushrods with GM guideplates ....... ill be getting some better lifters looking at the pro mag hyd roller lifters but been hearing bad stuff so im looking at morel lifters also, and some better springs and retainers ....... now this is prolly going to be going with some P&P heads like what i would get with LE3 heads(specs - 2.02int. /1.6exh. 208cc intake port flow around 280/195) with a intake P&P to match the heads and prolly ported to a 58mm or a monoblade from AS&M...... would those heads be enough to support that kinda of size cam or would i be better off getting some AFR heads and either my intake matched to it or a new intake

Im not looking for 500 at the wheels or anything im just wanting to build my LT1 a little bit until i can afford to do the boosted LQ9 408 i want to do ...... the reason i want to build the LT1 up a bit is because it will be going into a datusn 280z that i have and would bake that a baddass little car to drive as a DD

so unless getting aftermarket heads will make a huge difference id like to stick with the stock heads and just have them built up a bit, that and i can do the P&P,buildup of the stock heads for a hell of a lot cheaper
You are about 140 miles from Lloyd Elliott (Mr. LE) which is about 90 minutes of Texas highway driving, right?

Contact Lloyd about you needs/desires. He can supply you with the right cam to go with your heads/engine/vehicle. FWIW, it probably won't be what you spec'd.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
You are about 140 miles from Lloyd Elliott (Mr. LE) which is about 90 minutes of Texas highway driving, right?

Contact Lloyd about you needs/desires. He can supply you with the right cam to go with your heads/engine/vehicle. FWIW, it probably won't be what you spec'd.
yeah that sounds about right ...... as to the 1st post yeah that would be nice but i dont really want to spend 3000$ then another 1500$ on a P&P for a set of heads when i can pay 1700$ to get my stock heads worked over and perform well, im just trying to build up my LT1 a little bit, remember this motor aint gonna be staying in my car forever because im going to be building a pretty extreme turbo motor ...... yeah ill prolly give lloyd a call and see what he says about the size cam i want to run and what ill need to support it and if it would be worth it.... thats all im going to do is cam and some head work, since the motor wont be staying in it and i dont need a extreme motor in my 280z just enough to make it a fun car to drive cause if i get to 400hp that will be in a 2600lb car

Quick Reply: H/C plan. thoughts?