LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

machine work

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default machine work

Well, I am now building a new engine after destroying mine last weekend. Need some info on machine work. I dont know what is the going price for a decent block preperation job but the only local "speed" machine shop wants $750.00 to clean, tap,deck,hone,bore and install new cam bearings in my block.This is done of course with a torque plate installed. Is this a good price based on any of the experiences you guys have had in the recent past? The motor must spin to 7K but only needs to put out around 310-320 to the wheels. I belive a cast eagle crank with forged rods and pistons is in order. Maybe the stock crank....however the machine shop says the cast eagle crank is "designed" better than the stock crank. Worth spending the $189.99 for the eagle crank? I dont want to overbuild this engine as it will never see nitrous, power adders. This engine is being built for a RR track car.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Teching In

what are your plans for it? 355? and what cam are you gonna go with it your gonna whind it up to 7k rmps and only make around 310rwhp? cause ur gonna need some good springs to get it that high without floating valves. also that price seems a bit high for the machine work. not by much but from where im from thats a few hundred higher. also as much as i hate em id go with a hypereutectic piston if your budget is tight because they are very cheap and u dont plan on spraying it. bad thing about those is that if you **** one up it will **** your block up. forged pistons are badass though if your budget isnt tight plus you can spray em all day long
Old 07-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I am building it for the NASA American Iron series. That is why I have the HP restriction. THe RPM goes with my gearing, it seems that I needed an extra 1000RPMs to stay in teh gear I wanted to stay in. I am going with SRP forged pistons.