why wont she shift?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question why wont she shift?????

we just did heads/cam swap in an lt1.
little backround. 94 z28 auto
the car has a 383 some one built a few years ago, car ran good, not fast or anything, but it was good.
then the owner decided to try to do an lt4 intake on the car by himself and his buddies. they did it, went to fire it up and they ended up putting a coolant line onto an oil line, and hydrolocking the motor. they drain it down ect its knocking a little, so the kid calls a travling machanic. guy cam in an old ice cream truck! (no lie!!)
decides the car needs a timming chane.
he puts one in, the kid fires it up, goes to drive away, boom, broke the timming chaine, bent all the valves ect ect.
now the car was sitting out side for 2 years!

he finally got into a motorcycle accident and got $$ for a setlment and contacted me and my buddy. we took the heads off ect.
had everything redone by our guys, everything is mint. put it all back together fire the car, it runs perfect, everything is mint.
goes topull it out of the garage, car wont move. shut it off, add 3 qt of tranny fluid (all we had and it was 12 am
goes to the store, buys some its all good.
we told him to baby the car till we get it on the dyno and tune it.
wel last night he discovers the car wont go past 3k rpm. it shifts at 3k no matter what even under mild axeleration.

he beat on it a little more and a few times it reved to almost 5k and that was it.
any ideas wha might be wrong?
its a rebuilt stock tranny with a shift kit and a tci 2600 stall

befor he blew it up it was perfect, andnothing changed besides the addition of lots of rust
anyone? thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like TV cable out of adjustment.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

there is no TV cable on a 94 and up Fbody.. they are all 4L60E... well for sitting for 2 years could have messed with some of the pressure sensors in the tranny... but sitting for that long could mess with alot of things.. try to pull some codes or a tranny datalog and see if it tells you anything...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to guess TPS.

The main tables match TPS against MPH to calibrate shifts

Then again with all that has happened there is not telling what they did
Old 07-28-2006, 04:25 AM
Staging Lane

i forget the name of the valve but in my 92 s-20 jimmy i changed the trans fluid and all of a sudden it would only shift at 4000 rpm turn out the valve was clogged with sludge i drove it maybe 100 miles like that and it worked free, changed the trans fluid agian and havent had a problem since

Quick Reply: why wont she shift?????