LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel pressure problem

well my car has been acting pretty wierd lately and i guessed it was something to do with the fuel since the car wont just fire up when i turn it over... i have to give it some gas before it will do so. so i hooked up the fuel pressure gauge and i have 40 psi at the rails just turning the key to on and then off a couple of seconds later. then after the key is turned off the pressure starts to lower... now that i presume is one problem since i thought it was supposed to stay steady. and i know it is only a little off but isnt the psi at the rail supposed to be 41-47 psi?

so i guess what this thread is about is what is actually wrong with that reading and what can i check to see? i am guessing that i have a leaky injecter since the pressure is getting lower afterwards but i dont know. could the regulator have something to do with it aswell? thanks alot guys

something else i wanted to add is when i do give it gas to get it to start... i have to hold down the gas for a while and slowly the rpms will rise to where they should be. it stumbles and everything until it finally settles where it needs to be and then the car will idle fine

daniel
Old 07-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like an injector or pressure regulator, the latter is the easiest and cheapest to change out, if that doeesnt fix it get the injectors flow tested. if you are going to have to end up spending money on a new one(s) might as well upgrade dont waste money on stockers
Old 07-31-2006, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

yea that's what i was thinking, thanks alot bud... anyone else?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

unless it drops more then about 10 PSI in 5 mins, it's ok. Some pressure loss is normal.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

okk... thanks. i think i will pull the rails and see if any of the injectors leak. but do yall know what could cause the last thing in my post?

something else i wanted to add is when i do give it gas to get it to start... i have to hold down the gas for a while and slowly the rpms will rise to where they should be. it stumbles and everything until it finally settles where it needs to be and then the car will idle fine

Quick Reply: fuel pressure problem