LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Newbie question, physical differences between SBC and LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question, physical differences between SBC and LT1?

I'm starting to look into an SBC swap into 1'st gen RX-7, (85 GSL-SE). I'm aware of Granny's, Torquecentral, and the search button.

I have access to a LT1 w/ cast iron heads out of a '95 (I believe) Roadmaster, $500, still in car and running.

What I'm wondering is, assuming I install a carb'd intake manifold and mate it to a 700r4, will there be any physical (I'm not talking about electronics... yet) differences between the two motors? Will I be able to bolt it up using Granny's SBC / 700r4 installation kit?

Now, about the electronics - I plan on swapping to carb, what distributor setup will I need?

Thanks in advance, let me know if I'm totally off base on something or you guys need more info.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am trying to help u but dont know what a Grannys SBC is. If your referring to differences in SBC form LT1 to regular SBC. I belive the blocks are all the same so u can install a 200-r4, 700-r4, or 4l60.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, the differences between the LTx engine and the regular old SBC is first the coolant flow is reverse on the LTx engine, then the LTx doesnt have a regular distributor, it has the optispark mounted to the front of the cam, as opposed to the rear top mounted Distributor on traditional SBCs. The LTx has a cam driven Waterpump, while the SBC has a belt driven waterpump. Also the LTx has the same bottom end as the 85 and up SBC with a one piece rear main seal. Everything else is the same. Bore Stroke, bellhousing bolt pattern, oil pan, centerbolt valve covers Et Cetera

Quick Reply: Newbie question, physical differences between SBC and LT1?