LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help?

I just bought a 97 z-28 about a month or two ago, the guy installed an lt4 cam w/ 1.6 rr's, had tuning done by fastchip, engine "rebuilt", did the exhaust(and this is where it gets really bad), he seemed to have put 3 seperate glasspacks on and a flowmaster muffler as the exhaust, it sounds pretty mean when it runs right, but...oy.

here's the, well, news.

it has no cat, although it does still seem to have the o2 sensors still in the bungs in the exhaust, problem is they're not connected.

so, you'd say, re-connect them right?

well the guy freakin cut off the connectors for the o2 sensors at the wiring harness, and bunched them up and away from the sensors.

here's my main problems...

a: does anyone know where to get new connectors other than junkyards? 4th gens are pretty rare in junkyards in bradenton, and dealers don't seem to sell them.

b. do i even want to reconnect the sensors? one of them WOULD go behind the cat if i had one, which means at least one will always be way way off...

what are my options? can anyone help me out here?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the rear o2 is just to monitor the cat. if you dont have an ses light then its probably been tuned out. i know many vendors sell extensions but if the main connector is cut off i dont know what to say. i know the chevy dealer here carries pigtails.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its just the rear o2's then dont worry about. Its the front ones you want working.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on here for rear o2 delete. You will find all the info you need.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Teching In

okay, i'll run a check for rear o2 delete, but I AM getting very serious ses lights.

i say very serious because it's always on, but every once in a while it starts blinking and the car runs extremely rough. also, the car runs unbelieveably rich, the entire car smells of gas, and anything behind or around the car is well aware that it's there.

I've yet to get the book on this car, though I do have a code reader...the point being that usually I'd be able to figure this out no problem, but the fact is I know far less about these cars then I'd like to, so if there's anything else that anyone would like to point out, no matter how common, feel free to.

also, I know the previous owner also removed the egr, I'm not sure exactly to what extent that means, just that the code came up, and i was wondering what kind of a difference that could make on these cars?(i know what the egr is, I just don't know how he went about removing it, whether he plugged it, so on)

Quick Reply: help?