LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cc503 cam requirements

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cc503 cam requirements

alright, after hours and horus and f'n countless horus of research on ls1tech.com, i believe i have found my setup. Originally i just wanted a huge cam with minimal boltons, ehh no. that wasnt gonna cut it.

so heres what i wanna do. either a cc305 or 503 cam with stock heads.
once i save up after that install is done ill ship my heads to elliot and have him port mine.

now heres the question:

will stock lt4 valve springs be ok to use with either cam? I am not sure of the lift on them but have read that they may work. What about a new timing chain set? Is that absolutely necessary with this cam? I know it'll be revvin up to 6k and i dont want **** to break. basically i just wanna get what i absolutely need for this cam to work, not every damn comp cam bolton.

plus, i dont wanna be spendin ishloads of money on this cam either. Im gonna install it myself to keep $ down
Old 09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emerica4601
alright, after hours and horus and f'n countless horus of research on ls1tech.com, i believe i have found my setup. Originally i just wanted a huge cam with minimal boltons, ehh no. that wasnt gonna cut it.

so heres what i wanna do. either a cc305 or 503 cam with stock heads.
once i save up after that install is done ill ship my heads to elliot and have him port mine.

now heres the question:

will stock lt4 valve springs be ok to use with either cam? I am not sure of the lift on them but have read that they may work. What about a new timing chain set? Is that absolutely necessary with this cam? I know it'll be revvin up to 6k and i dont want **** to break. basically i just wanna get what i absolutely need for this cam to work, not every damn comp cam bolton.

plus, i dont wanna be spendin ishloads of money on this cam either. Im gonna install it myself to keep $ down

You are going to end up buying some stuff twice.

Suggestion: Call Lloyd Elliott, discuss what you goals are and all the rest of the stuff you'll be using, like gears, trans, headers, etc. You may possibly be able to buy springs just once. Same for the cam. I'm not convinced your current plan is the best and least expensive one.

My $.02
Old 09-12-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i was originally gonna roll with a gm847 .. i did my homework on all i needed. all the valvetrain goodies, heads, etc. if i were to do the setup on my own itd cost near 2k. i just want a good cam to get me to 350rwhp with springs. just wanna know if its possible and reliable i suppose
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

t t t
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

The LT4 springs should be fine for that cam as long as you stay with 1.5 rockers. I wouldn't use your stockers though. Since it's probly a good idea that you buy some new rr's you might as well go with 1.6's. In wich case those springs won't work.

I am also going to be putting the 503 in my car soon. I went with cc 918 springs, cc promag 1.6 rr's, cc 4130 chromemoly push rods, GM guide plates, and OEM lifters(you probly don't need these. I'm just doing it for piece of mind). When it comes to your valve train, it's best to not cheap out.

Just my .02
Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emerica4601
well i was originally gonna roll with a gm847 .. i did my homework on all i needed. all the valvetrain goodies, heads, etc. if i were to do the setup on my own itd cost near 2k. i just want a good cam to get me to 350rwhp with springs. just wanna know if its possible and reliable i suppose
One more try: Ask the experts, as I suggested above. I define "expert" in this area as one who does it successfully for a living, not the "internet experts" who frequent forums.

You ain't the expert here, emerica. No offense intended; you are not alone.

A difficult task is to admit to ourselves that we are not experts at such things as choosing cams and valvetrain parts, let alone engine design. I have been watching this stuff for years, and I will say that a car owners' egos have gotten in the way of a large number of modifications. IOW, they made poor choices for parts and systems because they thought they knew more than the pros, and more than they really did know themselves.

As for gettng to 350 rwhp with usable torque in the range you operate the engine, it has been done, but it took a bunch of valvetrain parts in addition to cam and springs to do it.

Free advice, like mine here on the forum, is worth just what you paid for it. I won't burden you with any more. I think your mind is made up. Good luck, and let us all know how it works out.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been watching this stuff for years, and I will say that a car owners' egos have gotten in the way of a large number of modifications. IOW, they made poor choices for parts and systems because they thought they knew more than the pros, and more than they really did know themselves.
i can agree with this. I guess theres no shortcuts when it comes to serious engine work. i mean yeah i want big horsepower #'s, but then again you get get those #'s with minimal effort and money. if so, thats how you break ****. And i dont wanna be another one of those guys who thinks he's got it down, but really has no idea.
So Im going to take your advice. Im gonna call a few experts who have been workin on ltx/lsx engines for a while. They are the true experts.

Thanks again for your advice, I think im headin in the correct direction now

Quick Reply: cc503 cam requirements