LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

heads & cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads & cam install?

How much would your expect to pay to have a heads and cam installed? How easy would it be to do yourself (with help from friends of course).

Thanx in advance...
Old 09-17-2002, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Default Re: heads & cam install?

To be honest its really not that hard, the only real area of difficult is springs. They are just a major pain in the ***. Also theres always a few special tools you will need and you cant forget all those strange little seals and gaskets. Ive seen some people pay up to a 1000 for just a cam swap and I cant believe that. I had a few other things done when mine was done, clutch, nitrous, blower, but I think in the 800-900 range should be the price you should expect, although ive seem some people ask more. But my parts bill was came to about 400 in little extras, so whatever you expect to pay, add about 1000 on or so, just to be safe. Good Luck!
Old 09-17-2002, 03:24 PM
Teching In

thanks... just trying to figure out if I want to do it myself or not.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:15 PM
Launching!

You can have the heads assembled at whichever machine shop you are using for not a whole lot, especially if you are having them do head work (screw in studs, valve job etc.)It's worth the money because they can test seat pressure, and all of the clearences. The rest of the work is not too hard. Just make sure you read through a Hayes manual and know it like the back of your hand. It also helps to have all the parts on hand before you start (gaskets, sealant, lube etc.) Also, organization is key. I had all my parts tagged, bagged, and in a designated spot on the garage floor. It simplified stuff quite a bit. Before I started I was pretty overwhelmed also. But in the end I was very happy, and confident to do more next time. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:45 AM
Teching In

What special tools do I need to complete the job or make it easier?
Old 09-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Launching!

You'll need a good torque wrench, some torx (star) adapters for a screwdriver, a balancer puller, and other standard tools. It's also nice to have a long magnet for when you drop nuts and bolts into hard to reach places. Theres other stuff too, but if you're doing it with friends it shouldnt be a problem at all. Especially if they have done it before.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Launching!

<small>[ September 18, 2002, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: silverado ]</small>

Quick Reply: heads & cam install?