LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP! pull motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! pull motor?

ok, like several others, i've eaten the water pump gear on a fresh 383. i've gotten quite a bit of metal chunks and slivers out of the motor w/ a magnet, but i'm extremely concerned that there may be more in there. what are the odds that the rest of the metal would drain into the oil pan and not damage anything? when i say i ate a water pump gear, i mean there isn't a tooth left on there. i called the engine builder (who didn't drill holes in the valley plugs) and explained the situation and was basically told "sorry". this from a very reputable race engine shop. after three years of building, it's looking like i'm going to have to tear the motor back down without even getting to see what it'll run w/ the new turbo. would any of you chance it?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

sorry to hear that man, that has to suck, i wouldn't chance it, a water pump gear will cost less then the damage that will be caused if the metal gets into the oil galleys, what kind of turbo setup are you running, i'm very intrested to see it because i want to do a turbo as well.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

it's a single t76gts w/ 3.5" exhaust all the way back. custom built, but it looks like while the motor is out, i'll be rebuilding the entire kit. the guy i paid to build it wasn't much of a welder. it's been one nightmare after another on this project and doesn't look like it's getting any better. i finally got to drive it a week ago and tried tuning it, but couldn't get the boost controller figured out, so we couldn't get much boost. then it started overheating and i'm back to square one.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

you got any pics man? how about a part list if you can.

Quick Reply: HELP! pull motor?