LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do next?

i have a 96 trans am m6. It has the slp loudmouth 2 catback, slp cai, trick flow elbow after the intake to the engine, and msd wires i tihnk. what should i do next to get more power? i was thinking aobut jsut getting a chip. i like headers, but there a lil more than what i want to spend now im only 17. any thoughts or ideas would help, thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

skip the "chip". go for a custom mail order tune if you wanna mess with the PCM. How many miles are on it? if any more than 100k(or any milage for that matter), I'd replace the valve springs with either CM 614's, or 26915 beehives. when I replaced the valve springs on my caddy, it made a big difference. It reved so much better after 4k, and It had a cam that was about 10* duration less than yours. And, add some stamped 1.6 rockers, they pretty cheap, and increase the lift of the cam. those piggy back chips(plug in pieces), or the hand held plug ins, are junk. it's better(and likely cheaper) to get a custom pcmforless tune.

do a TB bypass(free), put in a 160* tstat, and have the PCM tuned so the fans turn on at a lower temp. also, you can bump the rev limited up a bit, so you can shift it higher.