LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Adjusting 1.6RR while motor running...Need Help??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting 1.6RR while motor running...Need Help??

Okay I just finished putting everything together after having a blown head gasket. I bought NSA Pro Mags and don't really understand how to adjust them.
The easiest way that I have read on Shoebox's website is to do it with the motor running, but when I tried it it still sounded as if some were loose (chattering).

Are the vlaves at zero lash when the poly locks stop when hand tightening? How much do you have to tighten the poly-lock after the poly-lock stops from hand tightening?

I don't really know how to find top dead center. To me it sounds hard unless you can see the position of the cam while looking at the dot on the crank. Thats why I chose to do it with the motor running.

Last question...how loud are NSA RR with the vlave covers off? They sound a lot louder than before, almost like something is wrong?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

your lifters dictate how much pre-load needs to be applied after zero lash IIRC. stock lifters are 1/4-1/2 Turn. Zero lash as you described would be when the rocker stops making the clacking sound and that's when the polylock gets tension on it from hand tightening (more precise than rachet)
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

with the rockers on there loose, u can spin the pushrods with your fingers. keep tightening until the pushrods become tight and no longer spin. once the pushrods no longer spin (and i'm not talking about FORCING them to spin either... just regular hand tension) then reloosen until they BARELY spin. it only takes a couple degrees to feel zero lash (maybe 2 degrees, if that). by using this method, you can really feel where zero lash is with extreme precision. you'll find that it's VERY sensitive when spinning the pushrods until u feel zero lash. after this is done, tighten the poly lock to however many turns is needed (i forget the amount of rotation). i hope this helps!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How the hell do you guys..... no WHY THE HELL do you guys want to do this while it's running?

Heat the motor up enough for the thermostat to open and then turn the motor off, yank the covers and set it that way. Believe me the motor will stay hot long enough for you to get it right.

Bret
Old 09-27-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sdm1234
with the rockers on there loose, u can spin the pushrods with your fingers. keep tightening until the pushrods become tight and no longer spin. once the pushrods no longer spin (and i'm not talking about FORCING them to spin either... just regular hand tension) then reloosen until they BARELY spin. it only takes a couple degrees to feel zero lash (maybe 2 degrees, if that). by using this method, you can really feel where zero lash is with extreme precision. you'll find that it's VERY sensitive when spinning the pushrods until u feel zero lash. after this is done, tighten the poly lock to however many turns is needed (i forget the amount of rotation). i hope this helps!

you're going to spin the pushrod as it's moving up and down while running??

Setting lash and preload while the engine is running is the best way to do it.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

I agree that tweaking lash while it's running is alot easier. I torqued the rockers(not running) till it didn't wiggle, then lashed them running. I tryed the pushrod way, but it keeps loosening up, so i could keep moving it. and I thought it was til the push rod won't go up and down, not spin? ****, nevermind, now I remember why I ended up "hot Lashing" them.

Oh, I was doing stock rockers.

Quick Reply: Adjusting 1.6RR while motor running...Need Help??