LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Recipe sharing

Old 09-28-2006, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recipe sharing

Just picked up a spare LT1 motor, supposed to have 2500 miles on it, looks ok, haven't torn into it yet. Toyed with procharging, stroking, what not. I did a search about both and found 100,000 opinions on either or both, heads, cam grinds, etc.

Anyone want to share their recipe for success? I was thinking about doing a winter project motor that I could drop in when spring hits, but not sure if I want to go N/A or a blower, or stroker or both. Other threads give opinions, I'm looking for "well I did this:----- and got this:----" kinda answers.

Anyone wanna give it up?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

383, big heads, big cam
D1-sc, twin intercooled 15ish psi, custom fuel system, lotsa 'other' stuff, too much money! Results, dont know yet, hope I didnt make a fuel system good for 8xxfwhp for nothing
Almost done, maybe a few weeks (or months) to go.

FWIW my stock motor did 450rwhp (500ish fwhp) with 10psi from the D1sc and nothing else but exhaust mods.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

If you're wanting to go N/A, get a solid roller. I believe it would be so much fun.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

SOLID ROLLER IS THE WAY TO GO FOR N/A!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

is there a big differance with solid over hyd? do they have more upkeep than hyd? would solid be streetable?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

BIG DIFFRENCE...upkeep you have to adjust valve lash from time to time.most recommend every oil change...MM
Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Solid can be streetable... But not daily driver streetable. Too much upkeep IMO.
Its not just for NA. Solid roller would get you the most NA HP possible, same for boost. Solid Roller just makes more power whether FI, NA, N20, whatever. Comes down to more lift, more duration, faster opening/closing events.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Also something I would note is that if you're going to run boost, hydraulic would be fine cuz you can make your power with the blower. That way you won't have the upkeep of the solid roller. Also duration on blower cams won't be as high as a NA cam so valve float isn't a concern where you would ideally turn the solid roller cam higher where the power lies. Don't get me wrong, small solid will make more power, but with a blower it's not as neccessary.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Also something I would note is that if you're going to run boost, hydraulic would be fine cuz you can make your power with the blower. That way you won't have the upkeep of the solid roller. Also duration on blower cams won't be as high as a NA cam so valve float isn't a concern where you would ideally turn the solid roller cam higher where the power lies. Don't get me wrong, small solid will make more power, but with a blower it's not as neccessary.
On that note, do I need to fill this with "Blower" (lower CR) pistons? I see a lot of people taking stock motors and putting the blower to it like that.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Most people go with a static CR around 9:1. If you're putting pistons in there, might as well get a good forged crank and rods too.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fire67

FWIW my stock motor did 450rwhp (500ish fwhp) with 10psi from the D1sc and nothing else but exhaust mods.
Just curious, since you said "did", what happened to the motor? How long did it last? Not being sarcastic or anything.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first built my engine I had the following:
383 all forged
16cc dish pistons (around 10.6 cr with 53.6cc combustion chambers)
CC305 on a 112 lsa/ 1.6 roller rockers--intake/ 1.5 on exhaust
Mildly ported stock heads
30 lb injectors
Hooker LTs/Borla Catback
Electric water pump
54mm AS&M throttle body
M6 tranny
Ford 9"--3.89 gear

Results: 365rwhp/388rwtq Cam leveled off at about 5700rpm and started to drop off at around 6100. 8.32 in the 1/8th with a bad (2.01) 60' on Nitto drag radials.

Should have spent more on better heads--especially on a stroker!!!

Also should have left it alone 'cause it was a good street setup. But no, I had to do this:

Added a used ProCharger P1SC--6lb pully (too much compression for a lot of boost)
50lb injectors
Water/Alcohol injection for intercooling (tried the ProCharger 2 core intercooler mounted under the car--2 inches of ground clearance for the scoop just doesn't get it)
4L80E tranny with manual valve body

Results: 446 rwhp/514 rwtq--this was with the CC305 cam which really isn't a blower cam, but not too bad in my opinion. Also the 4L80E robs you of some hp. 7.91 in the 1/8--again with a 2.00 60' on 315 Nitto drag radials. Have bought some ProStars with Hoosier Quick Time Pros but haven't run them yet. With the auto and all that torque, it probably would have run better with a higher rearend gear, 3.50 or 3.25--1st gear was useless.

Now, I am just finishing up this project:

Back to the M6
Custom Blower Cam
Jesel shaft mounted 1.6 rockers
Kooks 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers with 4" inch exhaust
BMR Extreme Duty Torque Arm--I bent my Spohn TA the last time at the strip running drag radials!

No dyno or track times yet.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by David94TA; 10-11-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

how fast do you want to go? there are a million recipes for millions of different ets.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by David94TA
Added a used ProCharger P1SC--6lb pully (too much compression for a lot of boost)
50lb injectors
Water/Alcohol injection for intercooling (tried the ProCharger 2 core intercooler mounted under the car--2 inches of ground clearance for the scoop just doesn't get it)
Hope this helps.
Well that's what I'm wondering, if I want to put the boost to it, what CR should I shoot for with say, LE2 oe LE3 Heads and the accompanying cam? Also, would it be better/more power per $$ for a higher CR engine, or am I better off going the boost route? I don't mind spending the money when I have it, but I hate wasting it and buying $1000's on parts only to dump them later because of bad planning.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by juicedimpss
how fast do you want to go? there are a million recipes for millions of different ets.
As fast as I can, but I refuse to butcher this car, meaning no tubs. Cage and SFCs ok, but no tubs.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth
As fast as I can, but I refuse to butcher this car, meaning no tubs. Cage and SFCs ok, but no tubs.
ok,so you want to go in the 8's?
that is possible with a "stock suspension" car.....
what do you plan to do with the car,possibilities are as endless as you wallet.

I have a friend who was ready to bite the bullet,he wanted an 8 second ride.he decided after looking at the costs involved with not only building the car,but the maintenence and cost of taking it out for 1 day of pleasure that maybe he was more suited to a igh 9 to mid 10 sec car instead.

Again,what is your goal with the car.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by juicedimpss
ok,so you want to go in the 8's?
that is possible with a "stock suspension" car.....
what do you plan to do with the car,possibilities are as endless as you wallet.

I have a friend who was ready to bite the bullet,he wanted an 8 second ride.he decided after looking at the costs involved with not only building the car,but the maintenence and cost of taking it out for 1 day of pleasure that maybe he was more suited to a igh 9 to mid 10 sec car instead.

Again,what is your goal with the car.
10's would be nice without spray.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fire67
Solid can be streetable... But not daily driver streetable. Too much upkeep IMO.
Its not just for NA. Solid roller would get you the most NA HP possible, same for boost. Solid Roller just makes more power whether FI, NA, N20, whatever. Comes down to more lift, more duration, faster opening/closing events.
I am running a solid roller from Lingenfelter and is not only streeable but also a daily driver I drive 30 miles in one direction to get to work. I just have to pull the covers and check the valve lash each time I check the oil. Takes an extra 45 minutes and the last time I changed oil I really only needed to adjust one exhaust valve. Now that everything is settled (8000 miles on it) I will check it the next time I change the oil and if everything is good I will then change it to checking them every 2 oil chages or 4000 miles. I change mine at 2000 miles. IMO solids idle better, rev higher and make better HP on the top and lets not forget the sound of a solid roller on the street when you are sitting at the light.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
I am running a solid roller from Lingenfelter and is not only streeable but also a daily driver I drive 30 miles in one direction to get to work. I just have to pull the covers and check the valve lash each time I check the oil. Takes an extra 45 minutes and the last time I changed oil I really only needed to adjust one exhaust valve. Now that everything is settled (8000 miles on it) I will check it the next time I change the oil and if everything is good I will then change it to checking them every 2 oil chages or 4000 miles. I change mine at 2000 miles. IMO solids idle better, rev higher and make better HP on the top and lets not forget the sound of a solid roller on the street when you are sitting at the light.

You care to run through the details of your solid roller valve adjustment? Do you use a feeler gauge or do you just do the "preload/lash/quarter turn" method?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what all pieces are different with a solid set up as opposed to a hydraulic setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recipe sharing