LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 build

i've been waiting for sometime to build my 95 LT1 to ensure i do it once a make it last. I've had the car for 2 years now and it remains to be a very strong bolt-on car. With 130K on the clock and still making over 310rwhp and 350rwtq. I've decided to go 355 and purchasing my bottom end parts from CNC motorsports. John @ CNC gathered up a good list of parts including rods, pistons, rings, bearings, chain, oil pump, push rods, lifters, rockers, and many others to support the new motor. I'm still stuck on heads....bang for the buck is what i need and from what i've heard and read TEA stage-2's are great. They just dropped to 1400 and they are flowing @ 280-230. I talked to TEA and they said i could have them shipped off and back in a month right now due to them moving, which is no problem because i'm in no hurry.

I've lookwed into other heads like the LE2 combo and off the shelf heads like AFR and TF, is there any others i should look into. I really can only afford to spend about 1500 on heads....which should get me into a nice set of CNC'd stock castings.

further on......i'm on a stock T56 planning to just upgrade to a puck style clutch from Ram or SPEC. I'm also on a Stock 10 bolt...( i know). Unless i put a serious tire under it should everything hold up? What about some M/T radials or 555r's(not dropping tire pressure). I'd like to hook....maybe not dead hook, but alittle would be nice without trashing the rear and trans.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The T-56 is not a problem, they can hold some power, the 10 bolt will break if you hook, with that kind of set-up you obviously are wanting to do it right the first time and not really skimp out. I would go easy and only run street tires until you save up for a 12 bolt or something.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zlover129
The T-56 is not a problem, they can hold some power, the 10 bolt will break if you hook, with that kind of set-up you obviously are wanting to do it right the first time and not really skimp out. I would go easy and only run street tires until you save up for a 12 bolt or something.
Thanks, i'll hold out on the DR's and just keep my 555's. I plan to have a 12 asap.

anyone have thoughts about the TEA's or any other heads to throw out there?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Rebearing it reusing the stock rotating assembly and put the money saved toward heads.

The stock shortblock is stout people are far too quick to want to "upgrade" it.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Rebearing it reusing the stock rotating assembly and put the money saved toward heads.

The stock shortblock is stout people are far too quick to want to "upgrade" it.
im only replacing the rods and pistons, using stock crank. I have enough to get the TEA's or LE2's...i was just wondering if anyone had some input on those heads or others. i understand your point and it is true, i just want to know it's very fresh and it's going to last.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Teching In

I have a set of used arf 190comps the heads flow 270-280 int and r in great con they have about 4000 miles on them and will sale them for 1500 with a lt1 intake that has been ported and a 58mm tb and crane roller rocker went with bigger set up and want 2 sale
Old 10-08-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jason123
I have a set of used arf 190comps the heads flow 270-280 int and r in great con they have about 4000 miles on them and will sale them for 1500 with a lt1 intake that has been ported and a 58mm tb and crane roller rocker went with bigger set up and want 2 sale
more info and pics asap...
Old 10-08-2006, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Don't do it, even those that like AFR will tell you the little ones like the 190s SUCK.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Don't do it, even those that like AFR will tell you the little ones like the 190s SUCK.
well the TEA's will flow about the same and are cheaper. What sucks so bad about the 190's. Ive always heard good things about AFR
Old 10-08-2006, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

You hear good things about AFRs reputation not about their LT1 results. There is a couple day old thread look there instead of dragging this one down the same ugly path. I repeatedly list cars going fast on ported stock castings and the AFR believes offer very little in the way of cars that support their claims of superiority.

Also flow is not the measure of a heads performance EVERY reputable head shop will tell you that, if a shop says otherwise run away. It is just one simple tool we have that can give us some vague basis for comparison.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

You hear good things about AFRs reputation not about their LT1 results. There is a couple day old thread look there instead of dragging this one down the same ugly path. I repeatedly list cars going fast on ported stock castings and the AFR believes offer very little in the way of cars that support their claims of superiority.

Also flow is not the measure of a heads performance EVERY reputable head shop will tell you that, if a shop says otherwise run away. It is just one simple tool we have that can give us some vague basis for comparison.
thanks, i've seen good track numbers outta both TEA and LE and i have no problem staying with stock castings. This is a car just to drive and have fun in. Not a race car. I want good performance and i dont wanna waste good money. I inderstand you get what you pay for but i expect to get good port work for 1500

Quick Reply: LT1 build