LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fiberglass hood question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fiberglass hood question...

A while back I bought a Camaro SS hood, I got it and it fit, but the hood was a little off, the back corners near the windsheild were raised up a little and werent flush, im sure it was something I did wrong during installation and didnt mind it that much I just wanted to get it on. The sides of the hood were also raised up a little. I am taking it back off to get the fitment right tomorrow.

My question is can fiberglass hoods bend and stay bent? Or would it just crack and or break, I just dont want the hood have being put on wrong caused it to bend then ill be pissed.

Also I reused the hood struts from my original Z28, would this be stronger then the SS struts?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

fiberglass has a little bit of tolerance, on my hood i had the car sit outside for a little bit and get warm, then i set a bit of weight on the part that was sitting high (ofcourse with a cloth between it and the weight) not too much, it helped the hood settle a little bit. You can get some settling out of it but not too much
Old 10-08-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure but I wonder if a heat gun will help?
maybe heat it up as you bend it and then let it cool down the way you want.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, im taking it off tomorrow and putting on a floor to see if it wobbles or not hopefully its just how i put the hood on

Quick Reply: Fiberglass hood question...