LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got code #36 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got code #36 today

Which, according to the code book could be:

1) MAF sensor - burn off circuit problem (not likely since it's a 93 speed density engine)

2) Transmission shift problem (electronically controlled transmissions only)

3) Direct ignition system (DIS) fault - loss of 24X signal or extra or missing pulses in electronic spark timing (EST) signal.

4) Ignition system fault - loss of High Resolution Pulse signal.

Well, the engine seems to run fine. I installed an MSD opti 4000 miles ago. Tranny shifts okay too. Engine runs a little cool (approx 100@operating temp.) for some reason, even though I changed the thermostat. Funny thing is the rad fans came on and the engine wasn't hot at all. Wondering whether my water pump works? Seems strange.

Anyone care to guess why I got the code?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I got the same code, and turned out to be the MSD opti that i had just put in was failing. for some reason the rotor was rubing on the plastic and cause shavings to get into the opti wheel. eather that the rubing got the module to hot and wouldn't run. But the rotor was on right and still rubed. so i don't know why?? Replace it and code went away. but if you car is running fine then i don't know. My car still isn't running right.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knightrider95
I got the same code, and turned out to be the MSD opti that i had just put in was failing. for some reason the rotor was rubing on the plastic and cause shavings to get into the opti wheel. eather that the rubing got the module to hot and wouldn't run. But the rotor was on right and still rubed. so i don't know why?? Replace it and code went away. but if you car is running fine then i don't know. My car still isn't running right.

Man, I hope it isn't the MSD. I can tell you the replacement won't be from MSD if it is. I have to do some testing. We'll soon find out.

Quick Reply: Got code #36 today