LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default lt1 motors

if i want to, can i put a reg. set of chevy heads on the lt1 block? As in convert the lt1 back to "old school" with heads, cam, distributer? Older 350 parts are SOO much cheaper then lt1 specific parts. Is the block the same? And whats the difference with the reverse cooling bs?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main concept behind reverse flow cooling is to cool the heads first, which greatly reduces the tendency for detonation, and is the primary reason that the LT1 can run 10.5 to 1 compression and fairly significant ignition advance on modern lead-free gasoline. Reverse flow cooling is THE KEY to the Generation II LT1s increased power, durability, and reliability over the first generation smallblock engine.

Got that from this link

I dont know if you can do your old school swap or not though.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
The main concept behind reverse flow cooling is to cool the heads first, which greatly reduces the tendency for detonation, and is the primary reason that the LT1 can run 10.5 to 1 compression and fairly significant ignition advance on modern lead-free gasoline. Reverse flow cooling is THE KEY to the Generation II LT1s increased power, durability, and reliability over the first generation smallblock engine.

Got that from this link

I dont know if you can do your old school swap or not though.

NO YOU CANNOT DO A LT1 SWAP. you would have to doo a complete swap to a reagular cooling system (US LT1 guys have a reverse cooling system) Old school small block. Its been done, saw a 671 blower some guy put on a LT1.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
if i want to, can i put a reg. set of chevy heads on the lt1 block? As in convert the lt1 back to "old school" with heads, cam, distributer? Older 350 parts are SOO much cheaper then lt1 specific parts. Is the block the same? And whats the difference with the reverse cooling bs?
Yes it can be done, but the amount of money you're going to spend on the custom machine work to make those parts all work will end up costing you the same or more than if you would have just used LT1 parts.

The coolant passages in SBC heads need to be drilled out from the head deck side to match up with the coolant port on the block deck, and then the crossover ports where the coolant would normally flow through a SBC intake manifold need to be welded shut and milled. Depending on which SBC head you're looking at running, you may also need to have steam vent holes drilled into the back of the heads just like stock LT1 heads, otherwise you risk getting hotspots/blowing gaskets/warping, etc.

You can run an SBC HEI type distributor but two things will have to change: you'll have to ditch your stock PCM because it relies on the Optispark signal to fire the injectors. In doing this, it will leave you with two basic paths to take:

A. Go carbureted.
B. Go with an aftermarket EFI setup, (Accel DFI, Megasquirt, F.A.S.T. XFI,
etc.), and use the distributor for a crank trigger type ignition setup.

An issue that will come up if you go carbureted is that the distributor won't fit underneath the cowl so you'll have to cut it. That usually means giving up your windshield wipers. The most obvious change is that you'll need to get some type've cowl hood with a tall scoop to gain clearance for the carb/air cleaner.

It's a helluva lot of extra hassle and potentially even more expensive to run SBC stuff than if you just stuck with LT1 components.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

f all that. Settles that then. Eaither get another block all toghter or its all lt1 or nothing. Got it, thanks guys

Quick Reply: lt1 motors