LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine falling on it face?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine falling on it face?

Hello,
I have a 95 Z28, my problem with it right know is when the engine warms up and I go to hammer down on the throttle, it just falls on it's face backfires and sometimes will die. But as long as I am driving it abnormally, it runs fine, And also when it is cold(below 160 degrees on the engine temp gauge) it will run great and I can hammer down on it!

Is this the optispark distributor causing this problem, and if so can it be fixed with new cap and rotor, or is it better to replace the hole set up. I already order the MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires and MSD coil. So I was thinking with all that plus new plugs, that should stop my problem?

Any advise would be helpful...Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a closed loop problem I vote for 02 sensors and maybe a coil. Try unplugging one of your 02 sensors and running in open loop. If the car still runs good after it warms up the have then car scanned and replace the sensors.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Launching!

thanks, since I am going to be under there, I will go ahead and replace those also.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My guess would be the 02s as well..mine did the same thing when the 02s wires were burnt through
Old 11-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I am going to replace them when I put the new headers on this weekend!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Launching!

did the service engine light come on, because mine is not coming on!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

my does the same thing as yours is doing i unplugged the o2 and it still runs the same and my engine light doesnt come on until i drive my car for a while so if its not the o2 then what else could it be that makes it change when the car is hot and cold it runs fine when its cold and like **** when its warm grrr i cant figure it out
Old 11-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Nice camaro! Did you replace the sensors? Like I said earlier I am going to replace the factory optispark with an MSD distributor, wires and coil, and while it is on the lift replace the 02 sensors. And if that doest work than start looking for something else. But hopefully that will take care of the problem, and I will let you know! Another thing my engine light never comes on. It will just bog down, when you slam the throttle to the floorboard, backfire and sometimes die, and if you let up on it, it will run normal. And when it dies, and restart it, it will smoke alittle, and you can smell fuel, like when something is flooded.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah my car runs fine when i first start it for the day but once it wamrs up a little it will run like **** and start bogging around 3,000 and when i turn off the car then start the car again when i get back into it from the store or whatever then it starts bogging at like 2,500 but if i let the car sit for a lon time then it wont bog at that low of a rpm it seems the cooler it gets while sitting the better it runs i unplugged the o2 and it didnt fix anything so its not the o2 i replaced the coil an i already have msd wires so im not sure what the heck the problem really is im wondering if i should just bring it to a shop and have them put it on the comp.

if you figure it out besure to let me know i cant even drive normal
Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alsocould have fould out a pulg or two...and no my SES light never came on till the day I was going home to pull out the 02s
Old 11-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Launching!

I was talking to a friend of mine at work, and he is a camaro lover also and said his cousin bought a 95 Z28 and it started doing the same thing. He said after they replaced the opti it was fine again.